Re: [Celtics' Stuff mchale

on 2/2/02 9:07 PM, Dan Forant at dforant1@nycap.rr.com wrote:

>  Bad habits are hard to break. Pierce and Walker
> have had to carry the load, some of that is changing. Witness the last game
> where they combined for around 24%. Others picked up the slack. We could
> have won.
>
> L8ter
> DanF
            ************************
     Dan, I hat to point out "fuzzy math," because I agree with your basic
premise, that the direction the team is going in, is towards more balanced
scoring and unselfish play. This tendency is the saving grace of O'Brien.
When the team losses a few games, they (Walker particularly) come out to
pass and play unselfishly. While this fades and they fall back, O'Bie has,
so far, been able to refocus them. My anxiety is, that with the tough games
ahead and the big Western road trip, they get into a deep funk, that even
smarter play can't save them from and they begin to tune him out.
    Any way, back to the math thing. The game you were referring to,
Minnesota, they may have scored only 24% of the points, but they took 47% of
the shots. 45 of 95. To me this is the curse and the reason for this teams
lack of consistent success. They all seem to understand it and yet they
don't want to consistently play that game.

       JB

                  Unchain My Heart !