Re: [Celtics' Stuff mchale

   The problem:
    I'd like to examine a bit, a real difference, in the play and attitude
of Bird, as opposed to Walker and Pierce.
    If Larry wasn't scoring and there were nights that his defender was too
quick and chest to chest, or just his shot not going down, he would go to
the paint and rebound like a monk in a hair shirt. In addition, I don't
think, after Bird's first season or so, that he ever took a shot, if there
was a team mate out front, all alone, or even in a better position than he
to score.
   How many times has Pierce just dribbled up and made a move, forcing a
shot or turning the ball over, without caring who else was in position to
score. Last night, he made that great pass to Battie, but that should be the
rule. I don't want to hear quotes like today's :   3They understand I am one
of the top scorers on this team, so they're going to focus on me,2 Pierce
said. 3So I've got to fight through it.2
   As for Walker, he says the right things, but, the great games he has are
when his head is up and he is making the creative passes, to open and
cutting players. I haven't seen that Antoine in weeks. He is also not
rebounding with much gusto. He gets the ones that land on his head. When is
the last time you have seen him really fighting for position, or the ball. I
know he's injured and that is a good reason, perhaps, to cut him some slack
on his boarding efforts, but it doesn't excuse the head down, lack of
passing.
     Now, for the remedy:
   As I said yesterday, my wish is to see two of the rookies, played
prominently, 20 minutes each and running the wing, with whoever else will
run with them. Anderson will push the ball and if he can't create a lay up,
or easy shot, then he can pass over to Walker who will pass over to Pierce
and they can use their one-on one moves and three point shooting, as a last
resort, not the first option.
   Eric Williams needs to go back to the bench. He is very valuable coming
in, to focus the offense, when we need a good possession. He is a third
wheel as a starter.
  Palacio must go. If they don't get another point guard (Khalid is still
out there guys) they are asking for big trouble, as the season drags on.
Kenny Anderson could have a heart attack, on the floor, the way they are
pushing him. They realize that they need a distributor on the floor, so they
are playing him, about twice the minutes they planned in preseason. Well,
it's time to realize that he can't keep that pace and find a back up.
   Blount must go. Walker needs some rest, every night, 10-15 minutes a
game. Whether it's his injury, or just fatigue, he has even less lift than
usual. Michael "The Animal" Smith, looks good in my book.
   Pierce also needs some down time. He's starting to look like James Brown,
at 65 , not Jimmy Brown, in his prime.

        JB

                  Unchain My Heart !