a team

I think that I enjoy the team building aspect of sports most.  Drafting, developing, occasionally trading, and seeing that produce a team is hugely rewarding.  It's seeing your "boys" grow up together with their mentors--like a family.  For that reason, I'm sure I focus too much on bringing in and developing youth.  Still, despite our startling success last year, I think it's a better way than we have chosen.

Many of us salivated over the chance to get Joe Johnson; in that, we were just like most amateurs, but also pros.  But we reached too far with KB and Forte.  Most of us were confused--both by who Kedrick was and why two more wing players.  My choices were mainstream--Tinsley and Jefferson.  Nothing original there.  And I hate the idea that we should not take Jefferson because he shouldn't go that high (no. 11).  If he's what we want and we don't want the others ranked higher, then get him.  I accept the story that Forte was Red's mistake--and Wallace's for listening to him.

We seemed to be following the Dallas Cowboys' draft approach--we're smarter than anybody else, so we're going to reach out and grab a sleeper.  Kedrick may be our Quincy Carter; you can make a highlight film of his plays, but you can't find any consistency.

The fault, to me, lies also in O'Brien and the captains.  Coach is tied to two excellent players and for that cannot or will not create a team approach.  It's hard to preach defense when the offense is a two man feast.  Everyone cooks, but only two get to eat.  The Lakers have the same problem.  Either team would benefit by developing young talent, but that means playing them.  I would play Kedrick and see what we've got; if not, we won't get good trade value from him.  The East is moving ahead; we're standing still.  The Pacers, NJ, Detroit even.  We won't be able to keep up without talent and we haven't added much lately.

So, while I love the desire of Pierce and Walker and the defense we sometimes play, I don't see us advancing without a different approach to creating the team.

New Year's Best Wishes to All, Gene