Re: [Celtics' Stuff Fingers should be pointing in two directions.

<< We don't have a second unit per se, as our defense hits the skids when
 reserves enter the game.  We also don't rebound the ball well enough to run
 consistently, nor do we have anyone who can run the break.  This team is not
 built to fast break. >>

I agree that the Cs are presently not constituted to run the break. I think
it most of it is because they haven't been coached to run it. You can still
can fast break without a breaking point guard if your players are coached to
pass the ball ahead. (Do I sound like Tommy?).

You put a Spud Webb or a Earl Boykins on the second unit and you have
breaking team regardless. These guys force the pace, putting on so much
pressure on the defense themselves that the guys on the wing don't have be
leading. You also don't have to have the rebound to force the pace. Watch the
Mavericks. They fastbreak on made baskets just like Tommy has been saying all
along.

Don't blame Wallace that the Cs don't have the ball-handler with speed that
run the break. Obie wants three point shooters at his point guard spot -
Delk, Shammond and JR. None of these guys have the confidence in their
dribbling to start a fast break on their own. In fact Delk and Shammond
normally slow up a little to let their opponents get by them so they can gage
where they are at and won't be trying the flick the ball away. JR shows more
of a propensity to get the ball up quicker but he has a long ways to go.
Regardless of the fanfare, Kenny was not a fast break point guard. He
preferred to bring the ball up more slowly and attempt to break down his
opponent one-on-one.

Don't forget that Obie says they don't practice the break....and it shows.
I'm not saying they have to be the Nets or the Mavericks. I'm just saying if
they could break as much as the average team. But we can't because we are
saving our energy for DEFENSE. Breaking is fun. The players love it because
it allows them creativity and the ability to show off their athletic ability
and the chance for slam dunks.

Just getting a point guard isn't going to change the mentality. Walker went
down on a two on one with Delk and refuse to pass him the ball, went to the
hoop and missed the layup. A team properly schooled in the fast break would
know that you pass the ball just to get it back. It mesmorizes the defender.
You have to change the coaching. The Celtics are what they are BECAUSE OF THE
COACHING....

DJessen33