RE: The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest V9 #420

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Gooen [mailto:callmebogie@yahoo.com]
Sent: December 24, 2002 10:35 AM
To: Celtics@igtc.com

Tammo wrote (during an otherwise perfectly justified criticism of Chris
Wallace):

<<O'Brien wouldn't be playing a backcourt of Delk and Shammond Williams on
the court together at ANY time, making it necessary for one or the other
to try to defend players half a foot taller.>>

Mike replied:

Don't know if you watched the Cleveland game the other night.  Although
Delk had an utterly horrible shooting night, he did a tremendous job
defending Ricky Davis (probably the hottest player in the NBA over the
last week or two).  I wasn't and am still not a huge fan of the Munchkin
backcourt, but I was impressed by Tony D's defense that night.

* Delk is an excellent defender, and for that matter, Shammond plays decent
D.  But in this league right now, I don't know if having a big guard is as
big an issue as it used to be, with the advent of the zone defense.  Before,
it was obvious that a Jason Kidd would back Kenny down to the blocks and
shoot over him.  Now, it is rare that you see that kind of strategy.  With
our own Pierce and Kobe maybe.  But the zone makes them bomb away from
outside in most cases.  I think that if we get any kind of rebounding,
meaning we don't have to win the battle on the boards, but keep it close, we
should be alright.

I will be attending the games versus Memphis and Portland next week.  I hope
to hook up with Kim and anyone else who is going.  It's always special to
have an opportunity to meet fellow members of this list.  Forant are you
available?????

Merry Christmas all.

Cecil