The Miami Heat

The Miami Heat, like the NY teams, still get plenty of
local press coverage, so its not hard for Boston fans to
retrieve a general picture of what to expect out of that
roster on Wednesday night.

It won't be tough for either team to get up for the
opener of this four game series, even though the Heat
lineup has changed so much. I particularly miss PJ Brown
and Tim Hardaway. Much to my astonishment, Tim Hardaway
is both hilarious and effective as a TNT analyst.

The Heat are not a bad team coming into this first
meeting, given the way Eddie Jones is going. He's got the
All Defensive credentials for another exciting Paul
Pierce showdown, but right now he's also the hottest
player in the game. Jones has dropped 15 and 17 fourth
quarter points in the past two games, scoring 70 points
in that span (35 ppg). He also leads the Heat in steals
and assists.

If that guy doesn't manage to kill you, the "Butlers"
just might. The two athletic Miami rookies (Caron and
Rasual) are averaging a combined 18 ppg this year. Caron
Butler, a starter, gets around 6 boards and 2.5 assists
per game, but is shooting only .385. Rasual is a much
streakier scorer due to his aggressive rookie shot
selection. He seems to be in the dog pound at the moment,
but that changes literally from game to game with Pat
Riley.

The Heat have five guys contributing over five boards per
game, led by Brian Grant's amazing 11.6 and Vlad
Stepania's 6.8. They bring a +2.6 advantage on the
offensive boards, led by Grant (3.4). Obviously, this
remains a point of concern for the Celtics coaching staff
and captains. It seems we're heading back toward giving
up 50+ rebounding games this past week, hoping to get
away with it.

The Heat have a couple of journeymen having strong years,
notably Mike James (8.4 ppg, 3.0 assists), starter Malik
Allen (10.3 ppg 5.3 boards) and shooter Eddie "Brick"
House (6.6 points).

Brick House has yet to miss a FT all season. Malik Allen
is an impressive shooter and scorer when he's on, but
Vladimir Stepania is more of the true center in that
rotation. Stepania reportedly doesn't manage his foul
situation well, but can be trouble for Boston on the
glass.

Mike James' game has been compared to that of Tim
Hardaway, in part because he uses the 3-ball aggressively
as his bailout weapon. He and Travis Best have turned the
opening day starter, the well-paid Anthony Carter, into a
third string towel-waver.

In general, Riley sticks with a short rotation (7 or 8
guys), whomever happens to be on it that day. And this
team is still somehow all about Pat Riley. He keeps it
that way, by jerking guys in and out of the doghouse. He
recently told the papers that no one on the team deserves
to start.

Be aware that the Heat will jack up a lot of three-point
shots (around 15) led by both guards: Eddie Jones (4.5
attempts, .374) and Mike James (3.8 attempts, .330).

Travis Best has had an up-and-down season (down again
now), but the near-Celtic is averaging a fairly typical
9.4 points and 3.3 assists this season, and will
occasionally start.

Interestingly, the Heat average 9.3 fewer trips to the FT
line than opponents. Despite having some excellent FT
shooters, they are getting outscored from the line by a
staggering 6.7 ppg.

Its hard to deny that this is the principal reason why
they've been outscored this season by 5.8 per game.  The
South Florida papers are referring to Pat Riley by his
new nickname: "He Hate Me".

Boston will no doubt try to take it to these guys in the
paint, especially if they play man-to-man. On the other
end, Vladimir Stepania is the only rotation player worth
fouling (.473). Caron Butler and Travis Best are both at
or over .850, and Eddie Jones is at .811.

As a team, the Heat struggle with FG shooting (.405
overall, .315 on treys). They have been weak on perimeter
defense too (.373 on opposition treys), although the
overall defensive numbers are similar to the Celtics, as
you'd expect from a Riley-coached team.

The Heat have reportedly looked terrible lately
against "zone" defenses. They are simply a very
inconsistent shooting team, for some reason. A lot of
past and present Heat players were good shooters on other
teams. Maybe the man defense takes too much out of them.

As everyone knows, Pat Riley unveiled a zone defense
himself for the first time a couple of weeks ago. But
he's still the NBA's biggest proponent of man-to-man,
because of the individual accountability.

His stubbornness happens to coincide with the rule change
and his team's failure to make the playoffs for the first
time, although the biggest reason for that is quite
obvious('Zo). Against a guy like Paul Pierce, it seems
like the NJ Nets playoff template has been the way to go
defensively. But we'll see what Riley does.

With all the various distractions, the Heat can't get any
traction so far this month. They finished a much needed
homestand last night at 1-3, and have lost six of the
last seven games. They do have wins this month against
Phoenix and the occasionally dangerous Golden State.

Although the Heat's cast of characters has changed, its
not hard for me to get excited about a game whenever the
Greasy One comes to Boston. There's so much history
between the Celtics and that guy....its really something
to think about. This might be the last game I get to
watch this calendar year, since I'm going away for awhile.

The Celtics are meandering a bit right now, when they
really need to be tightening up their performances ahead
of the tough January/February schedule. Still, the
overall picture looks promising as far as how the defense
and offense have come along, as well as our capacity to
rebound from defeats.

I watched the tail end of last night's Rockets game, when
the Heat wasted a good comeback and 17-point Eddie Jones
fourth quarter. It was fun to see El Greasy One's face
after Steve Francis hit that buzzer-beating three.

That shot was as high a "degree of difficulty" buzzer
beater as I've seen in awhile. S. Franchise was flying
off to the side as he released the ball.

If you guys haven't seen him lately, you'll be shocked
and possibly saddened by how quickly he's aged. What
makes it so garish is the same old wardrobe and greasy
hair.

Joe H.>
L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?