Re: Walker

I have to say this points out something I'd noticed in a similar vein of
late.  When I was first starting the predictions list on the CBW, everyone
had a prediction perceptibly higher than what they had made the previous
season, as befits the levels the Celtics reached in the playoffs.  Then,
after a couple of tough losses in preseason, I got a batch of requests to
lower predictions.  Now, the Celtics are enjoying their best record in
three years.

I think part of the problem is the run of bad luck the Celtics have had
since 1986.  Len Bias and Reggie Lewis died; Bird, Parish, McHale, and
Walton all had to retire or leave due to injuries.  The front office had
M.L. Carr followed by Rick Pitino; and a string of really bad draft
choices.  Before last season, the Celtics last playoff appearance--against
the Orlando Magic--was rocked when the "Hack-a-Shaq was nullified when the
guy actually hit his free throws for once.  Tim Duncan beat the odds and
didn't play in Boston.

Yes, it can make a person skittish, but there's no reason to give in to the
"What's going to go wrong THIS year?" attitude that prevails, I'm told,
over at Fenway Park.

Walker is going to have some great games marked by brilliant play.  He will
also, I have no doubt, have the occasional stinkeroo, punctuated by an
emotional outburst that compounds his troubles.  He plays with great
passion and pride, and sometimes, it gets away from him.  He's learning,
though.  I hear less of him complaining on every play.  He's learning to
pick his spots, and let things go when they're over.  Last night was an
example.  He and Weatherspoon got into a war of words, and both received a
"T" for their trouble.  Several minutes later, Weatherspoon was still
seething.  Walker had a smile, and calm demeanor.  He also stuffed a shot
over Weatherspoon. :>))

The point is, he's learning to put is passion back into the game, instead
of taking it out on the officials--even when some of those incompetent
morons deserve to be flattened like a pancake under a steamroller--ummmm,
that is--well, heck, I'm a beagle, not a basketball player.

At 11:26 PM 12/14/02 -0400, Cecil wrote:
>Yeah...for tonight anyway.  We'll see what you have to say when he has a
>subpar performance.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
Please visit the Celtics Beagle Website at
http://users.mfi.net/fluteaphrael/celticsbeagle/celtics.html