Re: Thug wanted

minutes, i think they
> deserve a pass on this one. There were some other
things working against
> them that they normally don't have. This was not
typical of how the C's play
> late in games. Someone else mentioned that they had
their desire taken away
> from them. I believe that. If you hit a dog with a
stick, he'll probably
> attack you. Do it again and he may attack again. but if
you keep hitting
> him, eventually he's going to cower and stay down. I
think the Celtics just
> got hit by a stick so many times last night that by the
last 6 minutes, they
> had no fight left in them.

Upon reflection I'm willing to agree to some extent.

Ideally, the Boston Celtics are usually guys that hate to
lose and know how to win.

It means taking the outcome of games personally, and
nothing else as personally. After the Nets series, Walker
cried in the press conference. He couldn't talk. That
sort of thing doesn't happen even in college sports
anymore. Most people feel too slick for that, or can
accept the reality of that defeat. Wait 'til next year.
Walker clearly hates losing, which is why he is the heart
and soul of the new Boston Celtics team. Pierce is the
same way. He's the main reason, by far, why I feel so
comfortable watching this team in close 4th quarter
situations.

And not only does Tony Battie seem to hate losing, he
actual HATES losing even a single possession on defense.
That really sets a team tone, his intensity all the way
until the Ref signals Boston ball. All these things
matter, obviously, if you hate losing.

As for knowing how to win, we're not there at all. We
were pathetic last night. All a fan can ask is that
players handle adversity in better stride. And I imagine
there are other things part of the equation of learning
how to win, like helping each other get better as a team.
That's the kind of leadership the captains can bring. I
read somewhere, maybe Josh Ozersky's column (not sure),
that they get 100% attendance when they get together
socially. I think cohesion and communication matter. We
have a good coach for that.

Last night's adversity was losing Paul Pierce for just a
couple of minutes. We were up by six or eight, and went
on to get outscored by 17 or 19 the rest of the way.
That's pathetic. That's wussy. Especially in front of all
those kids in the crowd who came to see the home team
hold together like professionals.

Some people may hate to admit it, but on that one night
the Celtics completely broke down without Paul Pierce. I
also believe there is no way we can win without Pierce,
but he actually came back as a decoy and we still choked.

Luckily it wasn't a playoff loss. If a similar situation
comes up in the playoffs, and its bound to, I hope this
team won't act as distracted and distraught like the
sissies they looked like last night. The Celtics need to
step up and handle adversity a little better, from now on.

Joe H.

p.s. Incidentally, I ran into Josh Ozersky in town the
other day and he told me he finally got access to cover
the team, instead of just Chris Wallace. He's talked to
Toine, interviewd Obie and all that stuff. But he's also
publishing an academic book on 1970s pop culture this
Spring, so he's barely been to games it seems. Anyway, my
point is he can be a good insider asset on the IGTC list
if he starts posting again.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?