Fw: December 11/02 Game in Boston

----- Original Message -----
From: Cecil
To: dstern@nba.com
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 12:04 AM
Subject: December 11/02 Game in Boston

Dear Mr. Commissioner,

I have been a faithful follower of the National Basketball Association since 1961 as a youth in Boston.  My allegiance to the sport of basketball includes playing, coaching, volunteering, officiating and television broadcasting.  One of my most memorable experiences was the honor of being selected to call play by play for the very first Toronto Raptors game held in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  I take basketball very seriously and do not apologize for my passion.

Having said that, I was mortified to see the non-call on Boston's Paul Pierce this evening as he was contacted while scoring a basket.  Undoubtedly, you have seen the play by now and I am sure you will agree that it was a oversight on behalf of the three officials assigned for this game, Sean Corbin, Ken Maurer, and Scott Wall.  I am well aware that it is such a difficult job, especially when working with the most talented athletes in the world.  However, when arbiters protect a shooter on a slap as they are driving the lane, and for good reason, as it definitely affects the shot, I would hope more of an emphasis will be placed on protecting a shooter who is in midflight, as Pierce was, since they are in much greater peril if contact is made at that time.

The man fell on his face, chipped two teeth, bloodied his nose and received additional facial abrasions.  The aforementioned officials reacted by calling technicals fouls on Antoine Walker for questioning the non-call, and on coach Jim O'Brien who was also ejected after his predictable rage at the non-call of his captain lying on the floor bleeding and needing to be helped from the floor.

Parity is great for basketball, and I would never go so far as to say unequivocably that there is something amiss with the crew who worked the game, or any other crew.  I am concerned for the safety of the players.  I'll never forget the horror I felt when the great David Thompson went airborne, and was hit and ended up landing on the back of his head resulting in a concussion.  If you recall that particular play, can you imagine his coach if a foul was not called on the defender?  That is what happened this evening to coach O'Brien.

I know there is not a double standard with individual players in the league.  But you will have difficulty converying that message to the thousands of fans in attendence tonight in Boston.

Tom Heinsohn scolded the officials at the game's conclusion, saying it was the worst refereeing he had seen so far this year.  One of the officials said "Merry Christmas" as he walked by.  Please Mr. Stern, review the game tape or have whomever (Stu Jackson) has responsibility for that aspect, report back to you.  I would hate to see someone have a career curtailed.

For what it's worth, a flagrant foul was charged to Vin Baker, shortly thereafter, even though he had both arms up high clearly going for a block.  The free throw disparity was 31-9 in favor of Phoenix, while Boston tried to get to the basket more than the Suns.  It was a strange event in all sincerity.

I have never written to you in the past and I plan on honoring the rest of the games I have tickets to.  But I come all the way from Nova Scotia to enjoy the game I love most of all, and hate to see the image of the game, one that you have worked extremely hard to purify, besmirched or tarnished in any way.

I have every confidence that you will look into this matter and would greatly appreciate a reply to this message from you.

Cordially yours,

Cecil Wright
Halifax, Nova Scotia