Re: The Messiah May Be Resurrected

I just can't see the new guys giving the keys to Bird and walking away, at
least until the economy turns and start ups are more interesting again.
Maybe they would bring him in if he agreed to involve them in decisions.

I can't see Bird letting anyone else override his decisions.  He has a
history of pissing on superiors in print when he disagrees with their
decisions.

These guys made more money then Bird by making their own decisions.  Why
give Bird the chance to turn the fans against them as leverage to get what
he wants?  The downside is lower then the upside is high.  Why take that
risk?

Of course this was Vescey reporting, so Bird's group is likely ahead
anyway.....

<Jim

**************************
Peter Vecsey mentions in the Post today, that the Rob Johnson/BET
Group is now favored to be awarded the Charlotte franchise.
If that happens, Larry Bird is on the outs once again, looking
for another franchise to call his own, or at least take under his wings.

The opportunity could be there for the new Celtics ownership to score
a slam dunk of  public interest and managerial skill by reintroducing
themselves to Larry, whom they spurned during their first week of
quasi-ownership.

Compared to Yes Man/Crappy GM Chris "Thank God we lucked into Paul
Pierce
and ML Drafted Walker" Wallace, Bird would be a vast improvement.

And a vast improvement is needed, as difficult franchise maneuverings
await
whomever the GM is after the season, when new ownership moves out
salary, to avoid the effects of the luxury tax. Something that they are
almost
certain to do, after overpaying for the franchise by tens of millions of
dollars.

As we've seen with the Red Sox ownership and their exile soon
of Sean McDonough, new ownerships that overpay for franchises, will seek
trim expenses and increase financial liquidity anyway they can.  And
the new Celtics management won't be an exception. They are not going
to pay a luxury tax and lose out on the rebates and escrow amounting to
millions of dollars.

So, I'd much rather have Bird making the call on whatever trading
decision they
agree upon, with AntoineWalker being a prime candidate to be dealt, and
whatever
draft choices are involved. Goodness knows, we've seen Christopher screw

up enough draft picks to last a lifetime.

And from a Media/Public Relations standpoint, Bird is a  perfect fit to
run
interference for new ownership, when angry Media and Fans have Gaston
Flashbacks,
after new ownership deals off someone of value, to avoid paying the
luxury tax.
Ray