RE: Vin Baker

We'll have to agree to disagree, Joe. WHEN Vin manages to get good post
position without fouling, and WHEN he manages to catch the ball when he has
that position, he has been OK, I guess. I say that very grudgingly. He still
isn't finishing much. His shooting percentage is anemic for an alleged
low-post scorer. I just don't see much there. He isn't active at all.

I really don't see how you can compare him in a positive way to Parish or
Walton. Those guys were warriors. Parish's low-post offense was different-a
turnaround jumper-but much more effective, even though the strength of his
game was his defense and rebounding (career weaknesses for Vin). Walton,
with the Celtics, was a sixth man of course, but during that glorious 1986
season when he was healthy, he was an absolute force off the bench. He
rebounded, blocked shots, scored some, and, most importantly, was a
brilliant passer. He entered the game and made an impact. Vin enters the
game and you don't notice. I just don't see how you can compare them
positively in any way.

You wrote: "But relatively speaking Baker's fine to above average compared
to true centers around the league, or even "old school" centers we've had
in the past (Hall of Fame caliber centers)."

Above average? Even in this center-starved league, Baker has been nothing
short of abysmal. I'm not even talking relative to his contract. His play,
even if he were a minimum-wage guy, has been bad. I don't see how you can
paint it any other way. And above average compared to the Hall of Fame
caliber centers in Boston in the past? I don't see how you can possibly say
that.

You concluded: " People shouldn't get worked up about Vin Baker as long as
we're winning, regardless of what Callahan and other write."

On this point, we completely agree. He's a bit player (thankfully). This is
Pierce and Walker's team, with solid contributions from Battie, Delk, and
the Williams boys. The only reason I get worked up about Baker is because of
what he means for the future of this franchise, and what he should mean for
Chris Wallace's future (he shouldn't have one). But for crying out loud,
there are people on this list who consider Kedrick the key to the season,
even though we have no evidence that he'll be anything more than a
jumping-jack off the bench-if he even gets off the bench. It's only natural
that our $50 million man catch a little heat.

Mark