RE: Callahan on Baker

Joe,

If you're going to give Wallace credit for liking Shammond Williams way
back, and Alvin Williams and Battie for Travis Knight, then you have to give
him the blame for the Vitaly-Andre Miller/Shawn Marion deal and all the
other bad trades during the Pitino years. You can't just give him credit for
the things he was right about and lump all the bad decisions in Pitino's
lap. And if you look at all of it on the whole, I'd say it's pretty
disastrous. There have been some nice moves around the edges, but the
big-ticket stuff has been truly awful.

As nice a job as Shammond Williams is doing, let's not lose sight of the
fact that he's here because of the $50 million train wreck that was dumped
in Obie's lap. If you could wipe Baker off the books and get rid of him
right now, but you also had to get rid of Shammond, wouldn't you do it? Of
course you would, and so would any GM with an ounce of sense.

I give Wallace great credit for the Delk/Rogers deal. That was his baby and
an absolute no-brainer. But even that traces back to his incompetence in the
2001 draft.

I agree that a Bird/Walsh team is a dream scenario for the Celts. But it's
probably just a pipe dream. I'm afraid we're stuck with Wallace. The team is
winning, and it's hard to justify making such a drastic change when the team
is doing well. Too bad it's in spite of Wallace, and not because of him.

Mark