Re: Emptying out the drawer of my Celtic mind

I am disappointed in Baker's performance to date. I think you have summed up
the probable reasons pretty well. I think you have to add that the league was
a lot more physical down low in the days when he was an allstar.

I would have thought that a player of his caliber would be able to adapt a
little better. But the biggest reason is opportunity. Baker is the last
option on offense. It is Walker or Pierce no.1 with the kickouts to the
perimeter to Delk, Shammond and crew, then you got your EWill postups and an
occasional Shammond penetration. It doesn't matter who is guarding Baker, he
isn't an option. He barely bothers to attempt to post up anymore. He just
isn't in the offensive game plan.

You got to hand it to Vin that he is just putting his hard hat on and playing
his role as the backup center. He just trys to play defense and get offensive
rebounds. If you have seen the last couple of games, Pierce has to credit Vin
for many of his drives to the hoop in the second half because Vin is setting
great monster picks out top. So add just playing his role and trying to fit
in as a reason.

Still, for the money he is getting paid, you would hope you could have your
cake and eat it too. I'll say this that regular season play is important but
playoff play is all that matters. In the playoffs, the games change. The C's
cut way down on the three point shooting last year in the playoffs. There is
less fast breaking and more half court play. Kenny, former albatross, became
a hero in the playoffs. If the Cs get zoned in the playoffs, lose their
shooting touch, it is great to have another option in the barrel. That is all
it will take for me. Vinny's best play last year was against Tim Duncan and
the Spurs. Funny how the Sonics changed their gameplan during the playoffs.

Conclusion:
In the few postups he has had, he has either looked magnificent or more
mechancial than Artis Gilmore. Unless he has some sort of advanced arthritis,
I have to think it is a reps thing. But the Cs don't need him right now.
Let's tuck him away until the playoffs or next year...

DJessen33