Baker thinks fouls cooked up (Telegram & Gazette)

Monday, December 2, 2002
By Bill Doyle
Telegram & Gazette Staff

BOSTON -- Vin Baker has been a human foul machine in his first Celtics season, and after getting whistled for five fouls in 11 minutes against New Orleans last night, he said he's thinking of calling the league office to complain.

"I don't know if they're not used to me coming off the bench," said Baker, who had no points and four rebounds. "I've been in the league for 10 years and I'm doing the same things I've been doing for 10 years now. It's a situation where I'm coming out trying to be aggressive and right now they're telling me my aggressiveness is too much. I'm not going to tone it down. I'm going to maximize my time on the floor."

Baker was whistled for three fouls and a defensive three second violation within three minutes and 49 seconds late in the first quarter and early in the second. With Tony Battie and Baker both in foul trouble, Bruno Sundov had to play the final 2:35 of the first half in a rare appearance.

"Out of the five fouls called on me, three of them I thought were bogus," Baker said. "You talk about 12 minutes, you've got to absolutely have your eye on me for 12, 13, 14 minutes to call five fouls. It's ridiculous."

Although Baker has played only the eighth-most minutes on the team, he's tied with Paul Pierce for the second-most fouls with 48, two behind Battie.

http://www.telegram.com/sports/cnotes3.html