Eric and Vin news

Court dreams alive as Celtics dedicate courts
08/26/2002

By MEGAN MATTEUCCI
Journal Staff Writer

WOONSOCKET -- About 100 local children learned to play
basketball like they do in the NBA, as Celtics players
Eric Williams and Vin Baker helped break in the newly-
renovated courts at Cass Park on Friday.

The courts were refurbished with a $15,000 donation from
Citizens Bank, Mayor Susan D. Menard said. Citizens put
up a new fence, nets, backboards and an extra 2 inches of
asphalt on the courts, along with painting Celtics' and
Citizens' logos on the court and the backboards, said
Jamie Kennedy, a spokesman for the bank.

To help dedicate the courts, Citizens invited 100
children from the Woonsocket Housing Authority, the
Woonsocket YMCA and the Blackstone Valley Boys and Girls
Club to a free clinic hosted by the two Celtics players,
as part of the team's Summer Caravan, which travels
throughout New England offering basketball tips to
youngsters.

Baker and Williams, both forwards, taught the children
passing, dribbling, shooting and defensive skills.

"We're just trying to help them out skillfully and show
them some stuff they can do to get in the NBA or WNBA,"
Baker said.

Instructing the children to line up in rows, Williams
said the first thing to defense is to maintain your
stance.

"Everybody got to get low. Get your butt out and your
back straight," he shouted to the 100 noisy children.

After perfecting their stance, the participants moved
their feet up and down in rhythm and slid across the
court from left to right, as they learned the defense
technique Williams' called "happy feet."

Although Friday was his first time in Woonsocket,
Williams said it was like going home for him. Williams,
who grew up in a housing project in Newark, N.J., said he
would have relished the opportunity to meet a
professional athlete when he was young.

"We want to be able to make an impact on the youth early.
There aren't a lot of role models for kids today," he
added.

At 6'll" and 250 pounds, Baker towered over the group of
children, who ranged from in ages from 4 to 17. But Baker
said he was just like them when he was young, and he
would have liked to have had a mentor.

"We're not just here to help you guys with basketball,
but also school, something at home, your peers and
anything else. We're just here to help," Baker said.

Newly traded to the Celtics from the Seattle SuperSonics,
Baker said it is nice to be back home in New England.
Baker, who was raised in Old Saybrook, Conn., said he
wants to teach children that school should come before
sports.

"Education is the most important thing," he told the
group. "You got to take care of your business in school
and work as hard as you can."

Citizens Bank President and CEO Joseph J. MarcAurele said
they selected Woonsocket because they wanted to reach out
to less-fortunate youth. "This is the type of community
we like to be involved in," he said. "We have a real
opportunity to make a difference."

Ryan Tremblay, 13, plays basketball for the Woonsocket
Middle School team and said he was happy for the
opportunity to learn some tips from the pros.

"I like watching them dunk," he said.

Although his favorite player- -- Paul Pierce -- wasn't
there, Seth Keeley, 8, of Woonsocket, said he liked
learning how to pass and dribble like they do in the NBA.

And Sara Mancini, 12, of Woonsocket, said she didn't mind
being one of the few girls on the court, as long as she
got to meet Williams.

"I liked meeting the Celtics players, especially Eric,"
she added with a smile.

Williams, who is 6 feet 8 inches and 220 pounds, said he
enjoyed the chance to have some fun with the children and
be back near his alma mater, Providence College.

"It's always good to come back to Rhode Island and show
my face," he added.

Online at:
http://www.projo.com/celtics/content/projo_20020826_wcelti
cs.8e30.html