Walker Says Celtics Second Best In East

Walker addresses hot summer topics

Celtics have given him a lot to think about

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 8/25/2002

ALTHAM - Antoine Walker has spent most of the NBA offseason working on
his game with a passion bordering on obsession. It's something that
requires early wake-up calls and plenty of patience while refining
technique.

Following the example set by good friend Michael Jordan, Walker has
taken up golf.

On the fairways and greens outside his hometown of Chicago, and around
Boston this weekend, the confident power forward has found himself
humbled by his new hobby. He constantly practices his swing with an
imaginary club, like all beginners aspiring to break 100.

With golf taking up much of his time between youth coaching duties,
charity events, camps, and workouts with personal trainer Tim Grover,
Walker has been hard to catch up with. But he did take a break to run
his annual three-day summer camp at Healthpoint. After the camp
concludes today, Walker will return to Chicago and point his workouts
toward the start of Celtics training camp Oct. 1.

While Walker is giving a lot of thought to his short game, he also has
given the Celtics' summertime moves plenty of consideration.

Yesterday, Walker talked about what his role might be with veteran point
guard Kenny Anderson gone, the acquisition of Vin Baker, and the Rodney
Rogers situation. On paper, he said, the Celtics are the second-best
team in the Eastern Conference behind the Nets. If Walker could pick a
starting lineup today, it would include himself at power forward, Tony
Battie at center, Eric Williams at small forward, Paul Pierce at
shooting guard, and Shammond Williams at point guard.

Until preseason begins, the questions can't be answered, but Walker gave
some strong opinions nevertheless.

On his role next year, as the Celtics search for a veteran free agent
point guard:

''I haven't spoken to [coach Jim O'Brien], but I just assumed [my role]
is going to change. I just assumed I'm going to have to handle the ball
more and prepare for that. Now, we can go big. We can play some bigger
lineups and be very comfortable and not lose anything. As of right now,
my role handling the ball would increase a lot. But if we're able to
sign another point guard and somebody who can handle the ball with some
great consistency, we'll be all right.

''I just really got back on the court 21/2 weeks ago. I've been playing
a lot, not really concerned [about position], just trying to get the
flow back, shooting the ball a lot. It's kind of hard to play the point
guard spot in a pickup game because there are not really a lot of
6-foot-8, 6-9 guys. You've got some smaller guys, so you've got to let
them go ahead and play the point.''

On Baker:

''The one weakness that we did have was in size. It's the first time
that we've got another low-post presence that we can go to on a
consistent basis and get fouled and get to the basket and do some
things. I think Vin is going to be fine with us. We're going to give him
an opportunity not to have to be the first guy or the second guy. For
the first time in his career, he can be the third guy on the team. That
can relieve a lot of pressure from him, so I think he's going to fit in
well with us.

''I have mixed emotions [about the deal]. Kenny was a good friend. The
bad part about it was I was down at his charity weekend with him [when
the trade was being finalized]. It was tough. Our team last year built a
special bond, so it's like losing a family member in that situation,
when you lose a guy like Kenny.

''I haven't spoken to Vin, but I heard the coaches have worked him out
several times and said he looks like he's in great shape. I don't see
him playing a lot of 4 [power forward]. I see him playing a lot of 5
[center], unless I move over and play some 3 [small forward]. But like I
said, we've got an opportunity to be very versatile right now and cause
a lot of mismatch problems.''

On losing Rogers to New Jersey:

''It's tough because it's not our money. My understanding is that to pay
Rodney what he was worth would have cost the owner $18 million or $19
million [figuring in the luxury tax, though $10 million is probably a
more realistic estimate]. With the way the economy is, there are a lot
of people trying not to lose $20 million. That's a 50-50 call. We've all
got to be put in that situation where we're going to lose that type of
money to say what type of decision we're going to make.

''It's the bad fact of the luxury tax, too. Every team is suffering from
it right now. You've got like 70 guys who ain't got a job right now.

''Rodney made a gutsy move [to New Jersey]. He's trying to stick it to
us a little bit.''

A month from now, when the Celtics return to town for good, the team
will a look different from the one that last faced New Jersey. In
addition to Baker, Williams, Bruno Sundov, and a veteran free agent
point guard to be named, a few more ''practice'' players will be added
to the roster so Boston can hold two workouts a day and not wear out its
stars.

''Everybody knew their role last year,'' said Walker. ''Now, we've got
to redefine this thing on the offensive end.''

This story ran on page C2 of the Boston Globe on 8/25/2002.
) Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.