-----Original Message-----
From: Celtics-Digest-Owner@igtc.com
[mailto:Celtics-Digest-Owner@igtc.com]
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2002 10:53 PM
To: Celtics-Digest@igtc.com

The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest
 Monday, August 19 2002 Volume 09 : Number 252

In this issue:

	Formidable front line
	Re: Formidable front line
	Re: Formidable front line
	RE: thinking it through
	Re: Formidable front line

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:50:01 -0400
From: "DJB" <dajubo@earthlink.net>
Subject: Formidable front line

There's a lot of time spent commenting about what we don't have (Rodney
Rogers, a top point guard, etc.), but what about what the Cs do have? I
believe that the front line of Walker, Battie and Baker will be very
difficult to defend. I assume that Baker will play center, Battie will be a
power forward, which I believe he's better suited for, and Walker will
probably move to the small forward. How many centers in the East will be
able to deal with Baker? Ditto for Battie and any PF trying to guard him.
This may sound strange, but I believe that if Walker moves to the small
forward position, he'll probably utilize more of his inside game, as he'll
post up opposing small forwards (imagine someone like Spreewell or Grant
Hill trying to stop him down low).

- -David

------------------------------

What's your plan for substitutions???? I don't see Baker playing 40min. Fill
in the blanks for Baker, Battie and Walker.

DanF

------------------------------

>I believe that the front line of Walker, Battie and
Baker will be very
> difficult to defend. I assume that Baker will play
center, Battie will be a
> power forward, which I believe he's better suited for,
and Walker will
> probably move to the small forward. How many centers in
the East will be
> able to deal with Baker? Ditto for Battie and any PF
trying to guard him.
> This may sound strange, but I believe that if Walker
moves to the small
> forward position, he'll probably utilize more of his
inside game, as he'll
> post up opposing small forwards (imagine someone like
Spreewell or Grant
> Hill trying to stop him down low).
>
> -David

Good points, but don't you think the issue is defense not
offense?

One of the rote observations about our Boston Celtics
last year vs. the season before is that the captains
finally "matured" and that Antoine, in particular,
started paying attention to "rebounding the ball
more/again".

In reality, as we all probably realize, Antoine averaged
fewer rebounds last season than before (both compared to
the previous seasons 8.9 and his career average).

He also slumped to his worst FG% year bar none as a pro
(.394 is twenty points off his previous rookie low), he
fell considerably in assists (5.5 to 5.0), he fell in
steals (1.70 to 1.50), blocks etc. In case you are
wondering, this was despite playing slightly more mpgs
than the previous year.

So what gives? If it seems I'm bashing Antoine Walker (my
favourite NBA player), wait until I get to the REST of
the team.

Sidebar: Antoine Walker IMO deservedly had what it took
to be voted an All Star game starter (Garnett's the only
other guy that can claim "20-10-and-5"), and Pierce
deservedly made the US national team (he might even be
the go-to scorer this month).

But ultimately the difference last year was defense
(hence wins, hence the recognition).

So I reiterate my original point. We fans can talk all
day long about offense or lack thereof, and of finally
having that "third scorer", lowpost threat etc.

But Boston might have a greatly improved offense and
still only win 35 games. Boston has added third scorers
before (Mercer, Kenny).

Last years offensive statistics fail to support the
thesis that offense made the difference. The won-loss
difference (a more than 20+ jump in wins including the
playoffs) was principally due to the use of an
established NBA defense (in this case, Dick Harter's)even
with the same personnel as before.

As counterintuitive as it can seem, all the evidence
suggests Boston was successful on defense under
Obie/Harter using a smaller, less traditional power
forward/center lineup. And because Boston was more
successful on defense, they became successful period.

With the exception of turnovers, both the Celtics team
and individual offense regressed or treaded water
compared to the team that finished more than 10 games
under .500 the year before. It all starts with Pierce and
Walker.

Because of Paul Pierces increased scoring, the Celtics
captains upped their combined scoring punch by a
supercharged 0.2 points per game (48.2 to 48.4).

At what cost in scoring efficiency did those 0.2 ppg
come? In Bostons previous mediocre season, Pierce/Walker
shot a good but not great .432 from the field combined.
Last year, they shot .417 combined.

You all want to blame all that on Antoine Walker right? I
know you do! ;-)  Well blame Pierce too. He fell off .012
points in FG% last year, and thats not including
shooting .403 in our successful 16-game playoff run.

As a unit, the 57-win Celtics team declined in both FG%
(down .424 from .428) and 3-point FG% (also a decline
of .004). Moreover, there was a zero improvement in
offensive boards and a trivial increase in team assists
(0.2 more). Check it out for yourselves.

Im not arguing against Battie and Baker starting
together, with Walker at small forward. I hope Obie
finally experiments with it, since hes never done it
before.

The reality is that Obie seems to love Battie as his
pivot guy and Walker as his ultra-versatile power
forward. He loves Eric playing defense at small forward,
until Kedrick can step into that role.

And its been working. The Celts improved a
remarkable .034 points on defense, including 0.28 on
perimeter defense (3-point defense). They went from .470
allowed under Coach Pitinochio, to .425 last year.
Probably very few people thought we could play better
than .450 defense with our non-traditional lineup,
which had essentially the same personnel Pitino had at
his disposal. And some of these guys had off-years
(Walker, Tony Delk, Eric Williams and Strickland shot
under .400).

Improved offense is not going to trump weakened defense.
Remember the Nuggets and Hawks of the 80s?

The key for 2002-03 is how the three newcomers to
Bostons 8-man rotation (Vin Baker, Sham and Kedrick
Brown) can impact the teams defensive efficiency. I
think well see a bit more versatility with guys playing
multiple positions in every game. But if Kedrick/Eric
give more to team defense than Walker/Baker/Battie, then
the former will get the starting small forward minutes.

Joe H.

(apologies for a long post)

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?