Tim Hardaway vs. Eric Strickland

These are the two names we continue to hear bandied about for the point
guard spot. I'm torn between the two.

On one hand, I agree with Josh about Hardaway's potential value. He's a
point guard. He knows how to play. He's a veteran who should have the
respect of Antoine, a Chicago buddy. He can hit the three-point shot. And
he's not afraid to work hard on defense, even if he can't physically handle
the rigors of 30-plus minutes of hard defense.

But can Hardaway still play at all? That's the question I have. Is he
finished? I really don't know. A veteran presence is only so valuable if he
no longer can contribute on the floor. Charles Oakley is a great example.
Mitch Richmond is another.

This is doubly important for the Celts because they desperately need whoever
they sign to come in and contribute significantly, either starting or off
the bench. They have no depth at all. The bench could be truly horrific. If
they sign Hardaway and he can't play, it's a disaster. They can't afford to
waste another roster spot.

On the other hand, you have Strickland. He's not really a point guard, but
he can play there. He would give the Celts three guys playing point guard
and no true point guard in the bunch. He's not a good decision-maker. He's
best suited for the same role Delk should be playing-backup shooting
guard/emergency point guard.

But Strickland, we know, still has some game left. He can defend and be
physical. He brings a spark of intensity off the bench. He's not a leader,
but he's a good chemistry guy.

It's a tough call. In a perfect world where Hardaway can give you 25 minutes
per game, then you sign Hardaway. But I need to know he can do that. If he
can't-if he's Mitch Richmond-then I go with Strickland. The Celtics can't
afford to carry anyone else who can't help. They already have a bench of
Shammond Williams/Delk, Eric Williams/Tony Battie, Kedrick Brown, Walter
McCarty, JR Bremer and Bruno Sundov. If it ends up Shammond, Ewill, Kedrick,
Walter, Bremer and Sundov, that may very well be the most impotent bench in
the league.

This is one of those decisions that could make a big difference. If you
gamble on Hardaway and lose, you're in trouble. If you gamble on him and
win, he could be a huge asset. Strickland is the more conservative choice
with lower risk and lower reward. Considering the track record of the
"braintrust," Strick probably is the way to go.

Mark