Re: Boston's "good guys"

At 06:02 PM 8/13/02 +0200, hironaka@nomade.fr wrote:
p.s. And the really "good news" according to our own Way
is that IF the team is sold, the "logical" move will be
to trade Walker for another draft pick. Hope springs
eternal.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thing is that word that the team is to be sold isn't appearing much of anywhere except in Ray's quoting of himself, others' references to that, and the one article he took his original post from that was looking to that as a possible 'explanation' of certain moves, not even passing on a valid rumor. Wanting it to be true doesn't make it so and I still totally fail to see why Gaston himself has any interest in selling based upon what's being said vs what I know.

HE DOESN'T OWN THE TEAM. It's an LP, not a privately held corporation with a single owner. He makes the decisions as the managing partner, but selling the team does NOT all go straight into his pocket as profit. As noted before, he makes his money (and can continue to do so ad nauseum) off the well funded investment capital side that he almost wholly owns of the pet rock LP and is rather less affected by team cash flow issues such as those supposedly moving him to sell, which are spread much wider - both profit and loss. He also lives in NY and doesn't have to listen to the complaints or people stopping him on the street begging him to sell. He may even feel an obligation to keep it in the absence of overwhelming reasons not to because his father cared so much about basketball - that bit's admittedly pure speculation on my part. I'm not saying that he would turn down the metaphoric offer too good to refuse, but he might. Or his idea of what that offer would have to be might be significantly different from anyone likely to make it or us wishing he would go away.

That being said, and frustrating as AW can be at times, I think he has finally taken real steps towards becoming the player he can be (the fact that player may not he what we want him to be doesn't change that), while I'm very very very very very tired of 'looking forward' to the lottery. I rather thought we were getting past that and even enjoying the fact. Of course it's a given that every single player who has not yet disappointed us in a game playing for the Cs is better than anyone we have (hmmm, y'know, I'm about as tall as some of the people mentioned at point guard and there's the PR to be gained...) so draft picks are ALWAYS better than anyone we have (I mean Bill Russell's OK on defense but obviously can't score and just LOOK at what this guy did against the ACC...<g>) but still...

Sigh, sorry, but virtual GM mostly bores me to tears. None of the above makes any hope spring for me, much less high enough for a thundering slam or even an alley oop assist.

Kim, still giggling over WEEI's Mustard's fervently expressed gratitude that Johnny is no longer doing Cs games when he heard about the upcoming likely games in China