Musings, concerns

Being a lifelong SF Giant fan (back to the early fifties with Alvin Dark and Whitey Lockman, etc.) I have real concerns about a team without a quarterback, to mix three sports.  The current Giants have two of the best hitters in baseball but suffer for lack of a leadoff man.  They have other weaknesses, but the parallel to the Celtics is my point.

We may have two prime offensive talents and Walker as a close third, but without some coordination I fear we may struggle.  Plus, there's apparently no hope for a thirty minute per game pg.  We will have to rely upon a committee of Delk, S. Williams and the unproven but quick-footed Bremer.  Any vet that we add now will likely be over the hill.  Let's hope Bremer can bring quality minutes early on.  He looks like a shooter and good defensive man to me.

While bummed about the mishandling of our draftees, I think our short term is not affected too much; Songaila et al have to make their way in the league, so if he doesn't develop with us, perhaps elsewhere.  We only lose if talents like JJ and Forte and Songaila have an early burst and become real contributors with some playing time.  Our favoring of McCarty and Delk seems shortsighted, but coach probably has a larger mortgage than me, and my job is rather safe--short of some major indiscretion, with the Dean's wife . . .  in public.

So, let's sign a twelfth man and get on with it.  Gene