Walker and Pierce named to Dr. Jack's Dream team

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/ramsay_drjack/1415402.html

Updated: August 8, 1:16 PM ET

Here's the United States' real Dream Team

By Dr. Jack Ramsay
Special to ESPN.com

There are eight different players on my 12-man squad that would represent the United States in the World Championships. That isn't meant to demean the current team in any way. I still think Team USA will go through the competition unscathed. But -- given the choice of all the U.S. players available -- why not take the best? That's what I've done.

There should be no argument about the selection of Shaquille O'Neal. He's the most powerful and the most dominating player in the world today. He changes the game at both ends of the floor. No single individual can keep him from scoring, and on most occasions, two or three players are helpless in that quest. He's a great passer, defends and rebounds well and blocks shots when it counts. If he's available, you take him -- with no hesitation.

I'd keep Jermaine O'Neal to back up Shaq and add Tim Duncan and Rasheed Wallace. Most everybody would go along with Jermaine and TD -- one of the game's most complete players, but some might look askance at my pick of Wallace. Rasheed is an excellent defender of big forwards, and he's not bad defensively against bigger centers, too. He has a good low-post game, can shoot 3-pointers with accuracy and is a team guy. Those are the reasons I picked him.

Among the forwards, I'd add Kevin Garnett for his big-man versatility and his team focus. He can play any position except point guard and gives his heart in everything he does. Antoine Walker gets the call for his passing, rebounding and ability to knock down 3-pointers. I kept Paul Pierce because he may be the world's most lethal shooter and is a fierce competitor as well.

Mike Bibby makes my team at point guard after watching him in the 2002 NBA playoffs. Bibby was superb in all departments and made one clutch play after another for the Sacramento Kings. With Jason Kidd out with an injury, Bibby joins Andre Miller at the point. The ball is still in good hands.

At two-guard, I'd pick Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson and keep 3-point shooter extraordinaire, Ray Allen. Bryant does everything well and comes the closest to emulating Michael Jordan in many areas of the game. Like Shaq, his selection is a no-brainer. Iverson gets the nod because he competes so hard -- I can't leave him off. He may over-extend himself at times, but with a team of fellow stars, I'd take a chance on him becoming more of a team player. On defense, he'll steal your socks, drive into a pack of defenders and make a scoring pass or an impossible shot.

I would keep the coaching staff. George Karl is coming off a disappointing season and has something to prove -- namely that he can still coach. I expect Karl and his staff (Gregg Popovich, Mike Montgomery and Kelvin Sampson) to do a super job directing this team. I wouldn't have any alternates. They're not going to play anyway and are there just to appease the college interests.

My team would win the competition without much opposition. As happened with Dream Team I, the best competition took place on the practice floor. That's what I'd like to see.

Dr. Jack Ramsay, a Hall of Fame coach who won an NBA title with Portland in 1977, is an NBA analyst for ESPN.