Re: Nets signs Childs!

Childs reportedly signed a two year deal worth $3.5M.  Obviously, the C's weren't and aren't willing to give out that kind of contract to a back up PG.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/7788p-7238c.html

Chris Childs officially rejoined the Nets for a second stint yesterday when he signed a two-year deal believed to be worth around $3.5 million. Nets president Rod Thorn ended his search for a backup to Jason Kidd when he sent Childs, who was on the West Coast, the contract offer on Tuesday.

"We are very pleased to add Chris to our roster," Thorn said in a statement released by the team. "He is a proven NBA veteran with valuable playoff experience who will add depth to our point-guard position."

Thorn had considered last season's backup Anthony Johnson, former Net Damon Jones and Milwaukee's Rafer Alston before signing the 6-3 Childs, who provides the Nets with a playoff-tested backup who can start in the event the durable Kidd ever sits out a game.

Childs, a former Knick who has 68playoff games on his resume, averages 7.0 points and 4.9 assists per game over his eight-year career. He played his first two seasons with the Nets, and averaged 12.8 points and 7.0 assists during the 1995-96 season before signing a lucrative contract with the Knicks the following summer. The Knicks traded Childs to Toronto during the 2000-2001 season.

Childs averaged 4.1 points and 5.1 assists last season for the Raptors.