Re: PG slot.

I don't know much about the player, but scouting reports
seem to breakdown Shammond as a very slick dribbler (and
shooter) who happens to lack playmaking skills. Its not
unlike Chauncey Billups in Boston..."looked the part"
with all the point guard tools, but lacked any point
guard court sense. That's the case even now, if you ask
me (although he makes Detroit one of the more improved
franchises esp. on defense and scoring).

Assuming Boston's pointguard rotation can handle what
amount in the sytem to being "minimum" job
requirements...break the press with the dribble and
contain opposing point guards defensively (Delk may be
good enough in that latter regard) then yes, Boston might
not need to adjust the current roster. Delk is such a key
player for 2002-03.

A full training camp could help him finally reach a
consistent comfort level for his role. Shammond is just
another one-year rental don't you think (especially if
his defense is as horrible as it sounds)? He's been in
the league long enough that Boston likely can't even
afford to offer him the veteran's minimum next summer.

As for Baker missing a point guard like Payton to feed
him high percentage shots when he's hot, I don't think
those feeds need to come from our 6-1 point guards. DJ
and Bird were well suited for feeding the post, in large
part because of their size. I think that's something
Walker and Pierce will work on in camp.

As long as Baker retains the skills to pass out of the
double team, this could work out team-chemistry-wise.
Baker could even get 4+ assists per game, or at least an
occasional triple. And just as Bird and DJ got plenty of
good looks at the hoop by making the low post scorer a
factor in ball movement, that's what Pierce and Walker
might also grow to understand.

On the other hand, it wasn't just having McHale-Parish-
Walton that allowed the other guys like Sichting to shoot
over 50% and get scoring opportunities. The overall ball
movement was off the charts too for the 80s Celtics.

If I were to bet you anything, it would be that the Y2K+
version of the Celtics aren't going to learn to pass the
ball like the Sacramento Kings.

But at least Boston's center and power forward can pass
the ball with skill....that's one similarity and its not
a trivial one given that our point guards are puny and
have no court vision.

Joe

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?