Game 3

These are thoughts on the first half and the postgame, because my #$%#%#
power went out at halftime and I missed the entire second half. Don't get me
started...

I thought the Celts came out with a strange lack of intensity. They weren't
jumping the pick-and-roll as aggressively as usual, they were allowing
penetration and on the offensive end, they were settling for quick jumpers.
They seemed to lack urgency. Antoine kept them in the game with his
unbelievable shooting. No complaints on his shot selection in that half-they
were open shots. I did wish the team would have shown some inclination to
attack the basket.

Speaking of which... is it any coincidence that the team had such success in
the first two games (especially Game 1) when it forced the issue inside? I
don't think so. But they came out firing from the cheap seats yesterday.

Antoine... what a display in the first half. Single-handedly kept them in
the game.

Pierce... I'm seeing a disturbing trend in Pierce. He seems to be buying
into this "Paul Pierce coming out party" crap we've been seeing in the
national media. He hasn't been the patient, intelligent scorer we're used to
seeing. Cap it off with the fit he threw at the end of the game, and it's
cause for concern (more on the fit in a moment).

Obie... I thought he made his first bad coaching move in the second quarter
yesterday when he inserted Delk in to play some point guard. I know he's
trying to keep fresh legs on Iverson, and that's fine. But if Delk is in
there at "point guard" then let Antoine bring the ball up the floor. It
seemed to me the Sixers stretched about an eight-point lead to 14 or 15 in
the first few minutes after Delk came into the game. He just isn't a point
guard and can't handle intense defensive pressure when he's handling the
ball. I thought that was a costly stretch, although they bounced back to cut
it to six at halftime.

Rogers... Good to see him get involved. Hit some big shots.

Now, about this Pierce thing and the "go-to guy" debate. In my mind, there
are two issues: 1. Should Pierce have gotten the ball? And 2. Should Pierce
have pitched his fit and complained to the media? I'll tackle No. 2 first.

Pierce was WAY out of line with his display on the court and his comments
off it. This team has prospered in large part this season because they have
two "stars" who coexist and seem to not begrudge each other their success.
This is the first time we've seen any kind of friction. Like it or not,
Pierce should have shut up and played.

Now, issue No. 1... should Pierce have gotten the ball? In my opinion, yes.
In a one- or two-point game, I want Pierce to get the ball because he
presents so many more options. He can shoot the jumper, post up, drive
and-most importantly-get to the foul line. So I would have designed a play
for Pierce. If it's a three-point game, I'd design a play for Antoine,
simply because he's more likely to get off a good look at a three. His size,
ball-handling and shooting ability make him a difficult cover that far out
on the floor. BUT, I don't think designing a play for Antoine in that
situation is wrong. It's not what I would have done, but I wouldn't say it's
wrong. It certainly doesn't warrant Pierce's reaction. Now, if Obie had
drawn up a play for Tony Battie, that's another thing altogether.

OK, so looking ahead... I'm still confident. I thought the Celts played
terribly and the Sixers played well yesterday (again, in the half I saw),
and it still nearly was a Celtic win in a hostile environment. I expect a
more determined defensive effort Wednesday. It's important to close it out
as soon as possible because you take the "superman" factor out of a Game 5.
What I mean is, I think the Celtics are the better team. But if you reduce
it to one game, and Iverson goes crazy or McKie has a career night or Snow
goes 10-for-11 or something like that, the better team might lose. Get the
win in Game 4 and move on.

We need a focused, unselfish, under control Paul Pierce.

Mark

P.S. Someone mentioned Horry earlier... has there ever been a player of such
insignificance who made more big shots? Dating all the way back to his days
in Houston, the guy just seems to deliver HUGE baskets in the playoffs, and
yet he's such a schmo the rest of the time. I can't remember anything like
it.