Re: Game 2 thoughts

At 12:40 PM 4/26/02 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
>But someone-anyone-please, if you
>see Antoine leading a fast break, stun-gun the guy. He has made more bad
>decisions and passes on what should be easy fast breaks in these first two
>games than Sam Vincent did in his entire career (and that's saying
>something). For a guy with such great ball-handling and passing skills, he
>has no clue how to run a fast break.

Ah yes, Sudden Sam. Did I hear somewhere that he's coaching a Juco now?
In fairness, it's not just 'Toine. Been one of my pet peeves about the team
all year long -they almost never try to and are usually very bad at running
a classic break. Not just the guy with the ball but the whole thing
including the guys who should be providing the wing cutters and the
trailer. Too often they don't even try and let the D set up, run it up just
to take a stupid jumper with no one in place for rebounds, or just screw up
the mechanics. Especially frustrating because it would take advantage of
some of their best assets -youth, quickness vs speed, and aggressiveness,
while helping the all around game by doing wonders for the shooting % and
open things up more for them to take the damned 3s that they adore but are
all too predictable with. Kenny's the only one who even tries to run a
reasonable version and that not often enough. Dammit, I salivate at the
thought of ball down the middle, Pierce cutting from one side, Williams
doing some body block clearouts (and maybe drawing fouls) on the other with
'Toine or Battie trailing (or Kedrick when they let him in the game for a
skywalker tip in).

All the credit in the world to them though for actually stepping up their
game for the playoffs, including generally playing smarter, although
thankfully not perfect. Wouldn't be as much fun if they were playing
perfect and left us nothing to criticize : )
Kim