Cook sounding better and better

I am making the assumption that what Cook says is reality, of course.

I like what he has to say.  I like what he has gone through being bounced
around and learning that the NBA isn't a birthright.  He sounds like he is
understanding what HE needs to do to stick in the league.  Maybe this was
the plan once he ended up with Tiny.

His looking up to the rafters and recognizing why he can't have any of his
numbers is a good forward step.

<Jim

***********************
Thanks to Bskball.com, CeltsSteve, etc...

Omar's cookin and it sounds wonderful if your a Celtic fan because any 20
year old baller from the streets of New York who can appreciate the
tradition that is the Boston Celtics, is already ahead of the game.

"I couldn't even wear any of my numbers, that's how great this tradition
is," Cook said to the New York Daily News. "So many jerseys have been
retired. I was sitting in this one room before the game [Sunday] and you had
coach (Red) Auerbach, Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, JoJo White, K.C. Jones."  Now
add some serious open floor game and it is easy to see why the Celtics
brought in the point guard.  Celtics' Director of Player Personnel sums it
up.

"He said, as only Garf [Howard Garfinkel, the legendary founder of the
Five-Star Basketball Camp] can, 'This is the third greatest passer in the
trilogy out of New York,'" Papile says. "The first one being Dick McGuire.
The second being Robert Cousy and this guy.  I know him back to ninth
grade," Papile added. "I think he's eventually a starting point guard in
this league. I don't buy the doomsday prophets who say he made a lifelong
bad decision by leaving St. John's. He's like the NFL quarterback, going
from a third to a second to a starter. You're better off with the headphones
on."

If so talented, why did Cook toil in the developmental league the entire
year? Attitude it appears.

"I think Omar benefited from playing minor league basketball," Celtics
general manager Chris Wallace said. "He realized the NBA is not a
birthright. It's a privilege and it can be yanked away at any given time.
And riding buses out of Fayetteville, N.C. is the easiest way to impart that
lesson."

Cook agrees.  "Playing in the Development league helped me get my head
straight," Cook says. "I just tried to work on my attitude, tried to leave
the emotion on the court. Everyone has a flaw. I have to work on my
weaknesses. If I perform the way I know I can, the ball is in my court."
Indeed it is Mr. Cook and, truth be told, many Boston fans eagerly wait to
see what you can do with that ball.

Jim Hill
Private Label Leasing, Inc.
mailto:jahill@leasingservice.com