FW: [Celtics' Stuff "...a jump ball, 48 minutes, 5-on-5 and let's get after i...

----------
From: JB <james.metz@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:09:40 -0400
To: <Celticsstuffgroup@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Celtics' Stuff "...a jump ball, 48 minutes, 5-on-5 and let's
get after i...

on 4/20/02 7:09 AM, lancejacob@aol.com at lancejacob@aol.com wrote:

His (Pierce's-JB) game has less gaffes than Walker's but it's still selfish,
and not the direction the team needs to go to win playoff games.  As long as
the Celts stand around watching any one player, it's not good hoop.  Maybe
you don't see it that way.  We need his talent, but we don't need a guy who
talks about himself taking over games.
Lance

*************
  While there is no one, even Heinsohn, who has spent more time, than I,
lamenting the one-on-one, fight through traffic tendencies, of our captains
(sorry to cloud the issue, bringing Walker into the debate, but it is the
same issue, to me) there was reason to consider, that until the trade for
Rogers and the emergence of streaky shooting McCarty and Strickland, there
weren't a lot of offensive options on the team and we needed to give the
ball to our isolation guys, to create any offense at all. With Anderson
hurt, all of last season, this was assuredly the case.
  What I've seen this season, is a gradual moving towards Anderson, as
distributor (with some recent efforts by Strickland) and away from the
Palacio, to Walker/Pierce show, on the left wing, that was absolutely
killing any flow. Read this AM's Jackie MacMullin piece, in the Globe, about
Anderson having the best +/- stats., per minute played.
  The last few games (I hope it's not because of Walker's thumb injury) the
team has been under the control of the point guards, almost exclusively,
which showed me the best offensive ball of the season. Part of the reason
for this, was Pierce passing out of traffic, early in games. He remarked
(wisdom, for sure) when Anderson was injured, two weeks ago, how much the
team missed Kenny's leadership and has not only picked up his own passing,
but started to move without the ball and give Anderson a way to include Paul
in his efforts, at running and finding easy shots for the team.
  Having said all that, I must also conclude, that the playoffs will require
a go to guy. Down the stretch, particularly, but throughout the game also,
the ref's will not call many  fouls, unless, of course, it is the superstar
getting whacked. We will need Paul the most, at that time, to take over,
because  there will be uncalled fouls on every possession and Paul alone,
may get his share of trips to the line.
   He is our best scorer, who can inflict hurt from anyplace on the floor.
He has learned so much this season: the drives to the basket, the little
fall away move, passing out of the defensive chokes. All of these winning
aspects were not evident, even early in this season. He's come a long way.
He may have learned what Michael Jordan took several years to learn, that
even with his immense talent it is better, particularly early in the game,
to give the ball up, let the rest of your team get their looks and their
heads into the game and they will be more willing to set you picks and feed
you during "Prime Time," which is when the game is decided in most playoffs
and when the go-to-guy may make the difference in who goes on to the next
round.
  Paul's comments to the press may not make him eligible for press secretary
positions, in government, or corporate America, but remember, we don't spend
hours  watching and posting about the "G.E. College bowl."  These are
warriors/gladiators and we as spectators, will relish the heart and fire
they display, wearing our colors.
  Paul is a Celtic. He has that "Pride." He is learning all of the other
aspects of the tradition. Until he helps bring home a banner or two, he
should not be immune to criticism, as he also, will never be satisfied,
until he and the team reach that level. He is driven. He will do what it
takes.
  Take notice Shaq.! The "Truth" is coming and it will slay you.

        JB

Link to current standings:
http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/1995/nba/nba/stat/2000-01
confstands_lo.html