Re: [Celtics' Stuff Fwd: Walker on injured list for last regular-season game

on 4/16/02 11:53 PM, stephen beauregard at sb@maine.rr.com wrote:

Out of Nowhere, another point guard.  JB. . I'll need an analysis of this
move tomorrow morning.  --
Lance
        *********
Be careful what you (people on this list) wish for...you might just get it.
sb
*********

   After reading Peter May's careful analysis on the deal, in this AM's
Globe, I don't see the downside. As Peter explained, if we don't like him,
we can cut him. If we do, we have the option, to keep him.
   Looking at the philosophical side of this deal, I have to love it.
Wallace/O'Brien have recognized the value of a true point guard and gone out
and tagged, arguably, the best value available. Omar, probably, will be as
good
(or better, with a year of minor league ball under his belt) a point guard,
as we could draft, late in the first round and comes without a guaranteed
deal.
   I've never seen him play. The reports are; he can't shoot, but fires
passes in his sleep and is a tenacious defender. The fact that he played for
"Tiny" Archibald in Fayetteville, the home of our own "Musty," makes me; a
believer in the "cosmic forces," think we have found our point guard of the
future.
   A great move, even if he doesn't pan out.
   Our "brain trust," thinking ahead and filling the weakness, even as we
debated the issue here, of whether they even recognized one. They moved now,
to get a jump on the field and give the young man a few weeks of playoff
experience, if even in street clothes, on the bench.
   If he does work out, he has a season studying under Anderson (another
native New Yorker, as are Cousy and "Tiny" )  and we can use our resources
in the summer of 2003, to go after that "man" in the middle.

        JB

Link to current standings:
http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/1995/nba/nba/stat/2000-01
confstands_lo.html