Re: Rick Carlisle

on 4/15/02 8:40 AM, Steve and Michelle Ouellette at redsox@westelcom.com
wrote:

> Let's give a former Celtic his due. As much as some of us might admire
> the job Jim O'Brien has done, the Celtics had more talent and more
> reason for optimism coming into this year than the Pistons.
>
> Many of us expected the Celtics to be in the playoffs this season, but
> NOBODY anywhere thought the Pistons would be at .500, let alone winning
> a division. To get that assorted collection of Detroit misfits where it
> is now is definitely worthy of Coach of the Year.
>
> I look at that roster and I still can't believe it.
>
> STEVE
    ***************

   I just don't buy that. I'm sure there are Piston's boards/fan sites where
their fans predicted them to be in the playoffs, also, but, I don't
remember reading; that the outside world, through the mouthpiece of the
national media, expected the C's would be a .500 team. Maybe there were
some: maybes, but I just don't remember much of the press jumping on the
O'Brien bandwagon, that early. I mean, even our own press, has been guarded;
Bulpett. To the edge of incredulity; P. May.  I still haven't seen the; {Oh
my God, how did this motley crew win 48-50  games?} column, from that guy at
the "Patriot Ledger." Or Michael Gee., for that matter, although Bob Ryan is
definitely psyched and on the bandwagon, as of a month or so ago.
   I'll never doubt that Carlisle is a very good coach, I'm not trying to
keep him from his "due," just point out that their expectations were not a
lot worse than ours and they got Ben Wallace and Cliff Robinson and a few
other very useful players, while Jimmy was given last years squad, three
rookies too raw to help in a playoff season and best wishes on the
recovering health of his center and his point guard. They didn't even give
him the 6 million to spend, that Gaston saved, by getting cash back, in the
last three trades of the Pitino era.
   There was so little difference in our records last season with NJ or
Detroit, it just amazes me that O'Brien can't get some serious
consideration. Can you imagine if another coach ....(you fill in the
name)....had 21 comeback wins ? When Bird hired Harter and Carlisle, he was
declared a genius for picking such outstanding assistants. O'Brien looses
points, as  Harter catches some well deserved credit, but don't the Lakers,
Nets, Magic, have some pretty good assistant coaches also?

        JB

Link to current standings:
http://archive.sportserver.com/newsroom/sports/bkb/1995/nba/nba/stat/2000-01
confstands_lo.html