Re: Its the shot selection..sheesh.

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 03:20:45PM -0500, Kestutis Kveraga wrote:
> --- You wrote:
> Your missing the point. Its not that Walker is shooting to much, its that he
> is taking the wrong shots. I think he could shoot 45% if he had the shot
> selection of Rodney Rodgers. Walker might have a high basketball IQ but
> he PLAYS out of emotion lots of time.
> --- end of quote ---
>
> True, he shot 47% on 2pt in '99-'00. I agree with the rest of this post, too.
I also did notice the 99-00 stats, which seemed to jump out compared to
the other seasons.  Despite that, I still believe that given his tendencies
and play today, if he changed half of his 3 point shots to 2 point shots,
he would score less points per game.  This, of course, would depend on how
many more times you believe that he would get to the free throw line as a
result.  I will admit that my analysis based on simple 2pt % and 3pt %,
with a purely speculative factoring in free throws, is flawed.  But I
believe he has tailored and practiced his game to be a certain way for the
season, such that replacing some 3s with 2s would hurt his own personal
offensive production.

I really wish they kept track of stats like missed shots due to shooting
fouls.

Francis