Re: One more thing on Antoine

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:12:53PM -0500, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
> Did you hear the comment during yesterday's NBC broadcast about Antoine
> missing so many open shots? It reminded me of a comment Ohio State (and
> former BC) coach Jim O'Brien (or, as I like to call him, "The Smart Jim
> O'Brien") made this season. He was talking about shot selection and teaching
> players what is a good shot and what is a bad shot. He said most players
> respond with, "But I was open..."
>
> The Smart Jim O'Brien's response: "Of course you were. The other team has
> scouts, too."

Along these lines, did anyone happen to watch the Dallas - Washington game?
Adrian Griffin was great defensively, guarding Jordan.  On offense, he was
left wide open on the perimeter several times, intentionally.  He missed
about all of those perimeter shots.  No one even tried to contest them.
Personally, I thought they were "good" shots for him to take because he was
so wide open.  According to the sportscasters, Don Nelson took Griffin aside
and basically told him that his job was to guard Jordan and make layups
(both of which he did quite well), and not to shoot any more open jumpers.

On a side note, I didn't know what to make of Steve Nash.  When I looked
at the box score, I was suprised that he got 12 assists when it seemed like
he would just about take every shot when the ball came his way, including
some 3s that seemed ill-advised, although he hit most of them.  I look at
his stats and see that he's shooting 49.1% for the season with 47.3% on 3's
(with just over 4 attempts per game).  So I guess he's entitled to play
his game.

As for Walker, I think it's hard to argue whether he's overrated or
underrated because he's rated all over the map by people, including coaches
and GMs.

> Mark

Francis