RE: Antoine (was Re: Johnson Touted As Rookie With The Most Impac t)

I never said Walker is the reason the team loses or that it would be
"addition by subtraction" to get rid of him. I also never called him a
ballhogging melonhead.

I don't believe Antoine contributes as much to the success of the team as he
is capable of. He's a great talent, but it's too often wasted because he's
so undisciplined. If you line up the players in the NBA who are 6-9 or
taller and have contests in shooting, dribbling and passing, Antoine almost
certainly would be among the most impressive players on the floor. But he
doesn't do enough with those skills. He's a tease. But we've seen him for
five years, and he's still teasing (and regressing in many areas). He's
running out of excuses. He got what he wanted when Pitino left, and he
seemed to take it as an invitation to do whatever he wanted on the floor.

We've debated the 3-point percentage thing over and over. Suffice it to say,
I don't think it's as simple as saying "36.7 percent is a good percentage."
If you're just looking at points per shot, you could make that argument. But
it's not that simple. Antoine isn't going to the line when he fires up
3-pointers. How many trips would he get if he were spending more time
attacking the basket? Also, every miss-whether it's a 2-pointer or
3-pointer-results in a rebound and fast break opportunity for the opponent.
I'd love to see a stat showing offensive efficiency across the league for
teams after a made basket as opposed to after a missed shot. I bet the
difference would be striking. Quick threes-one of Antoine's specialties-are
a demoralizing factor for the rest of the team. Ask yourself this: Do you
think the opposing coach when playing the Celtics would rather see Antoine
attacking the basket or firing 3-pointers?

Just look at Paul Pierce, who I felt in his second season was becoming too
passive and reliant on the 3-pointer. He changed his game last season and
became a lethal offensive player. He's unquestionably a better shooter than
Toine, yet he already has learned to pick his spots with the 3-pointer. He
attacks the basket again and again, and is among the league leaders in free
throw attempts and one of the most efficient offensive players in the
league. Toine is among the least efficient. He's had five years and doesn't
get it. He never will.

I've said many times that Toine is being judged while playing out of
position, and I really believe that's true. But it's a moot point. The
Celtics obviously believe he's a power forward (or point guard) and have
constructed the team so that the only option is for him to play power
forward on defense and de facto point guard on offense. So trying to predict
what he'd do at small forward is a waste of time. We won't find out until he
plays the position somewhere else. Regardless, I no longer think it really
would matter. I don't think Antoine cares one bit about how his play fits in
with or affects his teammates. He seems to play in a vacuum, and I don't
think that would change one bit if he changed positions.

One final point on Antoine: One of the favorite stats for his fans is his
assist average-5.5, I think. Just to show how meaningless that is, the
league's most notorious gunner-Jerry Stackhouse-nearly matched that with
Detroit (5.1 apg). Josh O. wrote eloquently about the difference between a
"Magic" assist and a "Michael" assist-creating something for a teammate that
wasn't there as opposed to dumping to an open teammate only when your own
scoring options are exhausted. Those are the Antoine/Stackhouse assists. And
another reason why arguments using only stats just aren't productive. You
have to see him to understand, and I've seen enough to know what kind of
player Antoine is.

Would the team be better without Antoine? Obviously not. But I'm not so sure
they wouldn't be better with a more traditional power forward in his place,
even if that player doesn't put up the numbers Antoine does.

Mark