Re: Re: Why The Celtics Won't Likely Make The Playoffs

"Robert Chin" <bobchin@shore.net> wrote:
>Hey Kev...

Hi Bob,

>He's funny like that.  But when the team hasn't been successful since God
>knows when, it's easy to criticize the moves.

ok got it. I'll try to relax and not let Way get to me.

>Actually, if there is ONE coach on Earth who could make meat out of Spam, it
>would be Larry Brown.  That's the difference really.  Brown is a teacher as
>a coach.  O'Brien is a guy hanging on to the wings of an airplane by his
>fingertips.  If Moiso has ANY usefulness, Brown will find it.

I agreee with you about Larry Brown. Somehow, I got the feeling he's
going to bail out on the sixers after this season.

Hey, you should give a little bit of time to evaluate OB. I'm
impressed with how he manned the "broken" house after Ricky left, got
Walker and Pierce and the rest to refocus, and a .500 record thru the
tougher 2nd half of the season.

Jeff Van Gundy also not expected to last after given the reins at new
york after the sudden departure of Riley.

Good things are happening too : Dick Harter is hired, Jack Ramsay
seemed interested to be invloved.

>That is one way to look at it.  The other way to look at it is the C's just
>wasted the Moiso pick.  Why?  They KNEW when they drafted him, he was raw.
>So what development did they give him?  None.  They took him one year, threw
>him out he next.  Jermaine O'Neil and Tracy McGrady needed three years to
>develop.  The way they used then subsequently treated the pick indicates a
>gereal cluelessness.

Wish I were at Waltham Healthpoint daily watching Celtics scrimmage,
only then could I give you a non-speculative answer.

They drafted him with knowledge of his potential or abilities (or
non-abilities), they should used him more even in blowouts or garbage
time, he should have more PT as Battie went down and only
Blount/Pot/AW plays the PF/C positions.

I am guessing Emperor Ricky made the Moiso over objections from
Papile/Wallace. (Remembered Papile made some remark about being
careful of workout warriors again this draft)

I am guessing OB didn't see Moiso is good enough to even beat out
Wallah (Wallah subed for Blount/Pot when the duo were in foul
trouble).

I remember the picture of Russell giving advice to Moiso, during
training camp and I thought "wow! Moiso's going to kick butts". Later
as we all know, Russell offered to coach O'Neal instead. I am guessing
Moiso's a damaged goods, mentally.

>It could be that the present C's regime were just
>trying ot remove the lingering stench of Pitino as much as they could.

I think the trading of Moiso was 99.9% basketball related reasons. If
it is for the reason you mentioned, Team Wallace would have done a
Jerry Krause (after Bulls' last championship season) - a total
clearout.

Actually, come to think of it, if they really want to get rid of
totally of the stench of Pitino, they wouldn't have extended OB,
Wallace and Papile, Gaston could have cut them without any loss of
money.

>That helps, but in the end, Moiso's contract wasn't THAT much of a problem.
>THe contracts that are problems are Batties, Walkers, Pots and Anderson.

Almost every team got their own bad contracts. Relatively, I find
Battie and Pots' contract reasonable in the marketplace (check Gieger,
Evanmeyer, McCoullod, McCllainve, Larry Johnson, Wahad- these are what
I call bad contracts)

However, my feeling is Battie is on the way out this Feb dateline.

>So we free up a small slot a year sooner.  What kind of player will that get
>the C's?

I think trading Moiso helps the cap by enabling us to having the
roster space and money to extend Blount, should Blount impresses this
season. I think if McLeod plays well, he is trade bait (so is EW if he
plays well) with Battie. Could be.

>No...as I said, Moiso's contract isn't the worst on the roster.  If he
>TOTALLY sucked, and no one wanted him, his contract isn't the most
>burdensome.  Not even close.

But we are getting a return on a stock which underperformed, it is
easier to move penny stocks.