Re: Bskball.com Column

on 9/20/01 11:53 AM, James A. Hill at jahill@leasingservice.com wrote:

>They won't bring in a player unless he's an impact player, but they won't
>pay an impact player what it would take to sign him.
>    Why they wouldn't/couldn't sign a Jacques Vaughn/Khalid El-Amin/Pepe
>Sanchez type point guard, for 350,000 to 500,000 is beyond me. Even if they
>had to cut him later, the amount is so small, compared to the benefit of
>having the point guard if necessary.
JB
       ********
Why waste the minutes on these guys? How many PG's do we need? Anderson,
Brown, Palacio, Walker, Johnson, Forte.  These are the guy's that will see
minutes at the point this year.  Right or wrong.
Jim Hill
 *********
>    It really does seem as if they don't care much about this coming season
>and might like to visit the lottery again.
JB
   ************
By wanting to give the foundation of this team the minutes this year they
don't care?  I miss your point.  Who is out there that you would want to
give minutes to over our current people?  Is there a "starting" 1 or 5 out
there?  Absent that, what's the point of wasting minutes and money?
        Jim Hill
    ***********
       There is just something about having a real push it up, distributing
point guard that appeals to me. I think this team needs some life. I'm sick
of Walker firing threes and even the little trick of posting Pierce will
wear thin soon.
           Having been to Shaw's, I can tell you that Palacio is not a point
guard, no matter how well he drives to the hoop. He is a one trick pony. He
has no instincts or abilities to get other players involved, nor find easy
shots for them. That leaves us Randy Brownout, who is not a point guard,
even when healthy and Kenny Anderson, who is also rarely healthy, although
when his head is screwed on straight, can, at least play the position.
           You want to see Walker, Johnson and Forte play the point? Well,
I'll give you Johnson, although it's a bit much to ask a rookie. Forte will
never play the position, as it should be played. He is a Dana Barros type
point guard, which is to say, if Joe Johnson can play the position, Forte
could guard the other teams point. I cringe to think of Walker playing big
minutes there.
           My point here, is that, if we really want to make a serious
playoff run this year, it would be worth carrying a point guard, in case
Anderson and Brown don't get out of the gate.
           The best basketball the C's played at Shaw's was when Khalid
El-Amin was on the floor, everyone saw it. O'Brien and Pappile both gushed,
but someone upstairs killed the move and Dallas moved in. This seems to be a
money decision, not a basketball one.
           There obviously are no centers available for cheap money, but can
you really say for sure that Vaughn is not a starting point guard? Atlanta
has the luxury of finding out. There might also be some rebounding help out
there. Gary Trent is still available.

        -JB-

Unchain My Heart!