Re: Don't discount the coaching.

--- You wrote:
22-10, 10-4
14-15, 8-6
15-15, 5-5
4-26, 3-11
6-21, 1-11
--- end of quote ---

As long as we don't let him stay past the end of the season, we'll be fine :)

--- You wrote:
There's no question O'Brien did a nice job taking over for Pitino, but his
track record as the head man isn't inspiring. The Dayton program only
recently started to recover (Oliver Purnell had them at 15-14/6-10 in his
second season, so it's not like he had to wait three or four years to
replace all of O'Brien's players).

Anyway, I'm willing to give O'Brien the benefit of the doubt, but I'll
always have the UD debacle in the back of my mind.
--- end of quote ---

I don't know anything about what happened at Dayton, but my one thought on this
topic always has been, perhaps JOB is a decent coach but sucks as a recruiter
(you know, the dry personality, lack of charisma etc.)? So, perhaps his success
as a coach was undermined by his recruiting ability - just the opposite of
Pitino, whose success at the college level was boosted (perhaps even carried)
by his recruiting ability? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

If it were the case, maybe he'd be OK as an NBA coach, where money, location,
and the salary cap talks, and recruiting BS walks, for the most part. In the
NBA, you don't really coach the players as much as just try to make them happy
with you so that they play for you, and try to steer their play in a
constructive direction. I think THAT he could do, if player testimony after
last season is any indication.
Kestas