Some thoughts and my prediction

The season is finally underway.  The Celts played a great game last night,
handily beating the Cavaliers (at Cleveland).  Admittedly, the Cavaliers
are not an upper echelon team; they're a team that we should beat, and we
did.  Still, it's nice to open the season with a win.  Winning on the road
is a bonus.  Not surprisingly, Antoine and Paul Pierce led the team in
scoring.  Antoine had a good all-around game.  Paul Pierce, too.  I thought
Kenny played well.  If he stays healthy, I think he will contribute

Anyway, here's my take on the team.  It's all been said before, but...

Antoine  Walker  and  Paul  Pierce - They are our big guns, the core of our
team.   I know Antoine has his detractors, but I'm not one of them.  I like
Antoine.  He puts up good numbers, and he's a competitor.  Many have spoken
about his propensity to (injudiciously) shoot the three.  Last year Antoine
put  it up 603 times from 3-point range, and made 221 (37%) of those shots.
This  is  the  equivalent  of  shooting  55%  from  2-point range, a decent
percentage, to say the least.  (221 3-point FGs = 663 points.  To score the
same  number  of  points from 2-point range would require 332 FGs.  332/603
=  .55).  Bottom line, Antoine is a good 3-point shooter.  Everyone on this
list  knows  that  he  was  in  the top 20 for points scored, rebounds, and
assists  (steals  too?),  yet  there  are still some who seemingly would be
happy  to  get rid of him.  Not me.  I'll say it again, I like Antoine.  As
for Paul Pierce, what's not to like?  A very capable scorer and rebounder -
good all-around.  One of the best players in the NBA.

There's  Walker  and Pierce, then there's everyone else.  While the success
of  the  Celtics  is  largely  dependent on the contributions of Walker and
Pierce,  it  is the contributions of the rest of the team that will largely
determine  whether  or not the Celtics make the play offs.  There are a lot
of question marks associated with the other members of the Celtics.

The  Centers  - Okay, we don't have Shaq and we don't have Duncan.  What we
do have is a "committee" of back up centers.  While none of our centers are
legit  starters,  they  are all decent back ups who each bring something to
the table.

Battie  - Tony Battie is the quickest of the three centers.  He's athletic,
he can jump, he can do the alley-oop.  How good is he, though?  I think the
jury's  still  out.   If  he  can  stay  healthy  he may be able to finally
convince everyone that he is not "Bat-girl."

Vitaly  -  On  the plus side:  A hard worker with a great attitude.  A wide
body.   Has  a  nice mid-range jump shot, and is a good free throw shooter.
Also  has  a  pretty  good  hook  shot.  On the negative side:  Can't jump.
Doesn't  have  good  hands.  Can't put the ball to the floor without losing
it.

Mark  Blount  -  Mark  has  shown  signs  of  improvement,  which  is  very
encouraging.   He  seems to have a combination of the talents of Battie and
Potapenko.

I  think  all of our centers are capable of doing an adequate job.  I think
we  are  better off at the center position than we were last year, however,
because  of  the  development  of Mark Blount.  He began to get significant
minutes  last  year  when  Tony Battie was out with his ankle injury, and I
think he did a pretty decent job.  From what I have seen of his play in the
summer  league  and  the  pre-season,  It looks like his game has improved,
which  has to be viewed as a plus.  Also, I'm hopeful that Tony Battie will
be more productive, provided he stays healthy.

The  rookies - I'm impressed with the play of the rookies, particularly Joe
Johnson and Joe Forte.  Johnson seems to have a good all around game, and I
expect  that he will be a contributor.  I'm particularly impressed with his
ball  handling  abilities.  Joe Forte could be the best of the three picks.
He  seems  to  be a scorer, and rebounds well for his size.  Although I can
understand  why the Celtics would like to develop him as a point guard, and
he  seems  capable  in that role, I think he would be more effective at the
two  spot (even though he is a bit undersized for that position).  He looks
like a scorer to me.  Time will tell, but I can already sense they both are
feeling  confident they can not only play at this level, but can contribute
meaningful minutes.

Kedrick  Brown  clearly  has great athletic ability, and may yet prove that
the  Celtics  were  not wrong to take him at #11.  It's hard to say at this
point.   I  think  it  is  fair  to say, however, that the rookies all show
promise.   They  are  young  (all  three  would  be in their junior year of
college  if  they  had  elected  to stay in school), and should continue to
develop  their  skills.   Even  so,  I'm  hopeful  that  they  will have an
immediate positive impact on the team.

Kenny  Anderson  - Kenny sure has his detractors on this list.  If he stays
healthy,  I  believe  that  he  still has the talent to be a decent player.
Clearly, he's no longer the star he once was, but I don't think he's as bad
as  some  have made him out to be.  Right now Kenny is a big question mark.
If he brings it, though...

Milt  Palacio  -  Milt,  like  Mark  Blount, seems an improved player.  His
shooting skills particularly seem improved, and he clearly has been hitting
the weights.  As Tom Gorman said, he has the body of a linebacker.  I don't
expect  Milt to put up big numbers, but he has been a decent performer, and
I expect that he will continue to be.

Eric Williams - I'm curious to see how Obie's plan to give major minutes to
Eric will work out.  I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that this is a
major  mistake.   Though hardly spectacular, Eric has played pretty well so
far.  I'm hoping for the best.

Walter  McCarty  -  I  feel  confident  that Walter's performance will have
little or no impact on whether or not the Celtics make the play offs.  He's
a  marginal  player  that  can sometimes come in and energize play with his
hustle.   Too,  he can sometimes get hot from 3-point land.  I suppose he's
not worse than a lot of other teams' 11th or 12th players.

My prediction:  The Celtics will finish at .500 and make the play offs.