Rooks and LaFrentz (was: Is Kedrick Brown the 'real deal' or not?)

Interesting number of points . . . I couldn't help but nod my head several
times in agreement.

For example, I'm in agreement with the idea of 'converting' JJ to PG if
anyone has to be converted. Not only does JJ seem to have the requisite
ballhandling skills but he also seems to have the right attitude and
priorities. I've read a couple of times that if anything he is too
unselfish!

Your statements regarding Forte's shooting ability as his strength ring true
also. I couldn't agree more about using him as a possible microwave who
could (eventually) spell either backcourt position but will never be a true
PG but rather instant offense.

Likewise, I couldn't agree more with your comment regarding Pierce at SF.
That is where he excels, so why tinker with success? He's shown in the past
that he has trouble with SGs so hopefully O'B values Pierce's contributions
at SF more than he does Eric Williams and the experiment of assigning Pierce
to smaller, quicker men will come to a mercifully quick end.

However I'd like to see more of Brown before he's traded, particularly since
it sounds as if he has the athleticism to become a defensive stopper as well
as a potential showstopper on offense (I hate the way it seems he's been
limited to a three-point spot -up shooter the few minutes he does play). I
could foresee a three man rotation of Brown SG, JJ PG and Forte as
microwave/sub in two years (with Palacio for defense on special occasions
such as Iverson - like Randy Brown was used in Chicago).

Perhaps the reason Chris Wallace looked so glum to Gene is that he hasn't
seen much in terms of exposing the rookies (Brown in particular) to the NBA
during the preseason. I would imagine it has to depress a GM who basically
rolled staked his reputation on a roll of the dice to see the coach playing
to "win today" by relying so heavily on vets who have already tapped out
their potential - and this is just preseason!?! If the rookies are not
properly developed it not only ruins Chris Wallace's rebuilding plans but
also his career.

Your mention of LaFrentz was particularly intriguing. I looked up his stats
and he was the 7th leading shot rejector last year (in roughly 30 minutes a
game) and also a fairly good rebounder (7.8 per game, which might not sound
so great but he's actually a better rebounder per minute than Antoine). He
averaged nearly 13 ppg on a good shooting percentage (47.7%) but needs to
work on his FT % (69.8%). He'd be a great addition at PF - I bet Vitaly and
he would complement each other well. Battie could be perfect off the bench
backing up both.

Keeping in mind what Mark and Alex have had to say about upgrading the power
positions step by step rather than in one fell swoop and the need to take
risks with potentially unpopular trades (Stackhouse for Ratliff for example)
for the sake of team balance and structure, I tinkered around at RealGM and
found that LaFrentz could be obtained through the following trade (NB: I
didn't just match up salaries - after all Denver has to want to do the
trade; also I didn't do variations with Pierce since in my estimation Pierce
is our best player while both LaFrentz and Walker are PFs):

>>Denver trades:  Calbert Cheaney $2,400,000 to Boston
Denver trades:  Raef LaFrentz $3,755,142 to Boston
Denver trades:  Voshon Lenard $4,252,434 to Boston
TOTAL:   $10,407,576

Boston trades:  Antoine Walker $11,250,000 to Denver
TOTAL:   $11,250,000

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Denver and Boston being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked.
Denver and Boston had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary
given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade
satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Boston would also receive a trade exception of $842,424 with this trade.
This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this
trade.<<

Of course Denver ends up with the 'best player' and so by that criterion
they 'win' in this deal. With Scott Williams recently secured Denver is even
in a position to do this trade. On the other hand, Walker and Stackhouse
share quite a few traits so the trade might not be simply about who obtains
the best fantasy player - that certainly wasn't the case with regard to the
Philly-Detroit trade. The trade would certainly involve risk, but it would
also address weaknesses in shotblocking, rebounding and post defense as well
as provide a vet at SG for those game moments when one is needed. Not only
would this trade go a long way to ironing out a big man rotation that blends
shooting %, rebounds, blocks and muscle, it would also help with ball and
shot distribution and indirectly increase the basketball IQ of the team on
the floor. Who knows, it might even help us with the zebras!

With regard to Cheaney's and Lenard's contracts, both expire this year and
while Cheaney would probably be destined for the IL Lenard could help break
in the rookies gradually at SG (the one position they all play) simply by
virtue of the fact that he'd represent the only veteran non-injured SG on
the roster. Like Stith we could wish him well at the end of the year if the
rooks develop as hoped or possibly ship him to a contender later in the
season if the rooks are ready to take on the burden. But I suspect such a
gut-check kind of trade is not in the cards with Chris Wallace just now - if
ever. He'd probably have to overrule and possibly replace O'B to make it
work.

cheers - Tom Murphy