Re: BSG on Kenny

Mark Berry wrote:

> Don't know how many of you get Boston Sports Guy's e-mail newsletter,
> but hehad this to say about the Celtics yesterday:
>
> "One last thought: the Celtics will not make the playoffs this season unless
> they realize within the next 6-8 weeks that Kenny Anderson can't be
> involved with this team in any way, shape or form. Wrong guy, wrong
> team, wrong time.  There's no other way to say it."
>
> My take: You know how much I despise Kenny and what he does to this
> team, but pinning all of the problems on him is taking an awfully narrow
> view of things. Kenny and all the point guards are bad. But so are the
> centers.  And the team doesn't have a true power forward. This team is
> so weak at the most critical positions, to suggest that just getting rid
> of Kenny Anderson will solve its problems is delusional.

I didn't read BSG's comment the same way, I guess.  I don't think BSG is
saying, "Dump Kenny and the C's will make the playoffs".  I think he means
something more like, "Keep Kenny and the C's will not make the playoffs;
dump him and they might."

> BSG wants to make it sound easy. Last year it was dumping Pitino, now
> it's Kenny. The truth is this is a fatally flawed team that, I believe,
> will need a major overhaul if it wants to be competitive. There are no
> easy answers.

Well, BSG was right about Pitino.  If the Celtics had not been brutal
during their easier first half schedule last year, they would have made
the playoffs.  Yes, the team is flawed and they wouldn't have gone far,
but they would have made it.

Which is all BSG was talking about in his above comment - making the
playoffs; not winning #17.  The current team IS too flawed for that.

Michael