Re: "To the point."

on 10/18/01 6:53 PM, bird at birdwl@earthlink.net wrote:

> From: JB <JBMetzEA@AOL.com>

>          I think this is an interesting game to have done this analysis,
> because Walker, who initiates the offense, too often, was ejected early,
> so,
> perhaps, we can better evaluate the impact of each of the point guards.

Actually, my knowledge of statistical theory (and it has been a while, I
could be wrong, I'm sure others on the list have a better knowledge than I)
 makes me think that this game is the worst example you could've picked.
Mostly because it's not a typical game (i.e. Walker not doing the things
he will do in almost every other game would effect your numbers).  Still,
it backs up the fact that Kenny had a good game, and that Milt, like the
rest of this preseason, hasn't been all that effective.  It's still just
one game though, and maybe a game that's not going to be indicative of the
rest of the season.

Regards,
(The Celtic "Tird")
       *****************
   All of the above disclaimers could be true and I really hated statistics
class, so I'm no help with statistical theory.
   If there is a  point to having done that study, it was to point out the
value a "true" point guard, on our team and the need for another one.
Thereby, the fact of Walkers absence, which let the point guard play point,
makes my point more pointedly.
   I watched Palacio play point guard in the summer league and so did coach
O'Brien. O'Bie told me he wanted to sign El-Amin, after watching him enable
the offense, that was completely ineffective, for two games, under Milt's
leadership.
   Those that are lamenting the lack of offense from our rookies now, should
consider that they are getting to play with Palacio on the floor.
   We went through this for three years with Dana Barros. Dana was a good
shooter, but too small to play the off-guard. When he went in the game, our
offense went South.
   We need a back-up point guard. They aren't expensive. I'd even like to
see Tyus Edney back here.

                   JB

Unchain My Heart!