"To the point."

    I've been posting under the above title, almost since I've been posting.
It must be five years now, since the Celtics announced the hiring of Pitino
and I came out from under the carpet, with many other former fans, who were
very enthusiastic that Gaston had fired M.L.Carr and brought in a proven
winner, undoubtedly, the most sought after coach on the market. I was
looking for information and enthusiasm, for the new regime. I found both and
some good friends also, on the AOL board. Veterans there can tell you, that
I have been an incessant voice, calling for a "true" point guard, ever since
I saw Chauncy Billips.
   I can still hear Bob Cousy now: "Wook up Chauncy, wook up!"
   In that spirit and from "hearing" all of the posted catcalls regarding my
(mild) defense of Kenny Anderson and my opinion that the team would play
better with a first rate, distributing point guard, I went to the tape of
last nights game to do a +/- for Anderson's minutes on the floor.
   It's dramatic. Perhaps too dramatic, because there are so many factors in
the game action, that relate to the scoring and defensive activities, but
here it is.
           Kenny                                               Milt
   played     score     +/-                        played     score     +/-
1/Q    7:50    19-17    2                           3:10    19-27    -10

2/Q                                                         1:30    21-32
-3
         4:34    31-41    1
                                                               3:04    33-43
0
        2:52    41-52    -1

3/Q    4:37    55-60    6
                                                               4:44    63-78
-10
         2:39    71-82    4

4/Q    4:04    81-86    6
                                                               3:34    91-95
1
        3:09    95-106    -6
           Total           +12                     1:13    95-110    -4
                                                                   Total
-26
         I think this is an interesting game to have done this analysis,
because Walker, who initiates the offense, too often, was ejected early, so,
perhaps, we can better evaluate the impact of each of the point guards.
       On a general evaluation, I though Kenny played a great first six
minutes. He ran on almost every possession. On many plays he was ahead of
the field. During that span we led; 19-13. At this point, due to Kenny's age
and exertion, I might have subbed for him, but O'Brien left him in for
another two minutes.
       For the rest of the game, he was, what I might call lazy, walking the
ball up, but he was able to hold the offense together, which Palacio was not
able to do.
      The game was probably lost during Palacio's minutes, during the last
four minutes of the 1st quarter and again in the latter part of the third
quarter, after we closed to within 5, while Kenny was in the game, to start
the half.
       By the way, Kenny earned a "jessen" on one of the very first
possessions of the game. Antoine fired a cross court pass from the left
sideline to Kenny on the right side. As the defender came out to defend the
three, Kenny passed inside to a wide open Blount, for an easy lay-up.

                   JB

Unchain My Heart!