Cavs game

Again, the Celtics played similar to the way they did at the beginning of
last year.

A funny thing happened on the way to the office. A basketball game was
started and then a refereeing contest broke out. Walker got a early
discipline toss. Pierce got a bizarre wrong call of palming the ball (which
he did) but he did it while rotating on his pivot foot before he started his
dribble. He then also get a T for doing a slight chinup on a dunk while
waiting for players to disperse underneath. The refs thought they were the
show. Three Cavs fouled out on consecutive possessions.

The Celts still played last year's offense and defense. The only reason it
was semi-close is because the Cavs just plain ain't that good. The Celts need
a couple of practices to revamp the offense and defense.

Remember when the Chief would sprint down the floor. A full 7 footer, knees
raised high. Remember Cowens? This is when you have a serious fast break when
every player is a threat to score on the break. Blount is soooooo slow on the
break. Vitally is almost as fast as Blount. But I don't expect VP to be fast.
Blount could be much faster but he just isn't putting out.

Speaking of not putting out, Kenny is tops. It is either that he is so much
toast that he doesn't look like he ever had game. You would think a point
guard who has been in the league for 10 years could hit a shot or two. I
don't think he shot a basketball all  summer.

I don't know why Obie doesn't play more. I think he should drive more to the
hoop and the defense isn't quite there from last year but at least he can hit
a jumper. He is better than Kenny right now if that isn't obvious to everyone.

Pierce showed the ability to solve some of zones and had a great night
offensively. Other teams seem to pack it against us, maybe because they don't
have to honor our 3 point shooters. We are all spread out on defense and
Wesley Person still lights us up.

Vitaly is still adding toughness but he made Chris Mihm look like a
skywalker. Right now he is the best rebounder among the centers. I don't know
what has happened to Battie. I think subbing for Walker has gone to his head
and he has forgotten that his number one duty is to rebound, regardless of
what position he is playing.

Johnson looks like he is already wore out. This is the end of a five game
trip, something rookies have never done before. Forte is still looking spunky
and made an important three during crunch time that should build his
confidence. Brown had a short 8 minute stint where he had to chase Wesley
Person around to no avail and never touched the ball on offense. Brown does
need to improve on his defense but the whole Celtic defense needs to be
revamped. There is no need to make players chase their opponents through
numerous picks when all you got to do is switch out. You don't have to stay
with the mismatch anymore. Just switch out and let the other player play your
zone area.

This was Erik Williams night when the refs are looking for a reason to call a
foul. Erik obliged. He actually did have a couple of nice slashes and a
three. The Celts were only looking for Pierce or Williams and probably
rightly so. However, I don't see why if the Celts aren't getting much out of
these games that they don't play the rookies a lot more so they at least know
what they need to work on.

How about another novel idea. How about we fast break before the other team
sets up there zone? The funny thing is that we hear it every year from Tommy
on how the Celtics are going to be a running team this year and then he is
constantly trying to figure out why they don't run. Little does he know that
the famous Celtic fast break died in 1976....

DJessen33