Hello all,

> As for the rooks... I agree with Ray that the Celts should have taken
> advantage of a rare opportunity to trade up and grab a potential impact
> young big man. Those chances don't come along often. But they didn't.
> Staying where they did, I have no real complaints about the picks. You know
> I'm not wild about Forte. His success against Dallas came when he was
> playing alongside Kenny or Milt against the Mavs' small backcourt of
> Hardaway and El-Amin. But, I'm not going to say he can't find a role. (What
> happened to him playing SG alongside Antoine at PG? While we're on the
> subject, what happened to Antoine at PG?)

Hmm this is more then a little unfair...
What trades do we know were available for the Celts to trade up with?

One just can't assume that with the 10th and 11th pick some team would be
willing
to trade down. <shrug>

Personally it sounds like you have a case of "Big man-itis"
This is the consistent overating of big players by NBA scouts, GMs
This goes back a LONG LONG way. It happens nearly every year and flat
out ruins franchise after franchise. I am glad the Celtics brain trust
avoided this.

Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan?
Thats the most famous mistake but there have been dozens over the best
couple of years. Paul Pierce went far too low, so did Vince Carter, and so on.

Soon we will see how Diop over Joe Johnson was a big mistake...

Forte might be better then any of those drafted from 11-21.
Though I would have chosen Zach Randolph if he was available..I will admit.
Even so Forte could turn out better then him.

GM's will pick tall players merely because they are tall rather then picking
the
best player available. Now I will agree that the Celts need a good big man,
but I don't agree that there were really that many in the draft.

I am not sure that there were any available past the first three or four
picks, and
time will tell if these guys were really that good.

Lets be brutally hones about the Celts..
Last year they had one great player and one good player and three potentially
mediocre players. Thats it. Every one else was flat out BAD. And barely NBA
quality.

You have Pierce...who is truly a great player.
Walker who despite his boneheaded nature is at  least a good player.
Battie, Anderson, and Stith who are all potentially mediocre players.

Battie and Anderson were hurt, so that left only Stith. Now although we have
lost Stith we have added three potentially mediocre players. Perhaps one
of them will even turn out to be good.

Its hard to argue that the Celts shouldn't be any better unless all there
draft picks
turn out to be a bust. Personally I wouldn't be the least bit surpised if Joe
wins
rookie of the year. He can play.