Re: Deal with the Devil

Joe H. wrote:

In another sport, these four "phenoms" would open the season playing Double
A ball instead of being viewed as a wasted draft pick based on a couple of
freaking exhibition games. Give it a rest.

---end---

I have to agree with Joe here, and not just on the evaluation of the
rookies. We're three games into a meaningless exhibition season. Let's not
get too high or low based on what we're seeing now.

As for the rooks... I agree with Ray that the Celts should have taken
advantage of a rare opportunity to trade up and grab a potential impact
young big man. Those chances don't come along often. But they didn't.
Staying where they did, I have no real complaints about the picks. You know
I'm not wild about Forte. His success against Dallas came when he was
playing alongside Kenny or Milt against the Mavs' small backcourt of
Hardaway and El-Amin. But, I'm not going to say he can't find a role. (What
happened to him playing SG alongside Antoine at PG? While we're on the
subject, what happened to Antoine at PG?)

Anyway, I think everyone needs to come around to the fact that very few
rookies are going to have major impacts now and in the future. The draft
classes are getting younger and younger, so it's going to take a year or two
for players to be NBA-ready. The Celtics' three rookies have as much Div. I
college experience combined as Tim Duncan did when he entered the league. We
all have to be patient.

There have been some good signs and bad signs in the three games. The team
is weak up front and at point guard. No surprise there, right? Their only
roster changes came at positions of strength. So the weaknesses shouldn't
come as a shock. Let's see how they do once they get the strengths sorted
out.

Personally, I don't think the Celtics improved in the offseason and I don't
believe they're a playoff team. Nothing has changed my mind at this point.
But it's early. They still have time.

Mark

P.S. Did anyone else catch the comments of Philly assistant Randy Ayers re.
Moiso? The Sixers seem ready to play Tractor Traylor and Matt Geiger at PF
alongside Dikembe, but Moiso is in the picture. Anyway, here's the quote.
Keep in mind it comes from Randy Ayers, who did to my Ohio State Buckeyes
what Jim O'Brien did to the Dayton Flyers.

"He's another young guy that came out of college early," Ayers said. "Boston
played a little bit different style than we do. He's just trying to
understand the system. He's got great skills. He's as skilled as any big guy
that I've been around in the league in my five years here."