Re: Would The Celtics Win More Or Less Games If Walker Was Injured?

At 12:13 12/10/01 -0400, Way Of The Ray wrote:
>I'm inclined to the opinion that they would win more games
>if Walker were taken out of the equation. I say an increased
>defensive presence at power forward and the frontcourt, letting
>the point guards -- as poverty stricken as they are -- solely
>run the offense, and an increase in scoring efficiency
>would mitigate against Walker's loss.

You've brought up an original thought. We may need to look into delivering
some food and clothing to our "poverty stricken" point guards. ;-)

But seriously, in an ideal world Boston could trade Antoine with a player
who gives you 9.0 rebounds and missed a total of 1 game in the past four 82
game seasons. If we want 9 boards along with much better interior defense
(some shot blocking would be nice), we might be able to get an older player
that matches this need (PJ Brown?). Right now, there aren't that many
players under 30 who fit this description. Go see for yourselves guys.

In this sense, I believe even Toine's critics recognize that trading him
now means cutting our losses (i.e. getting something less in return), due
to the size of his contract and the fan-unfriendly "most hated player"
label stuck on him by Peter May and Tim Hardaway. It is the "less can still
be more" argument.

On the assumption that we'll get less back statistically in a positional
trade, I think the threshold issue is whether the Celtics have players on
the roster who can also replace Toine's point forward (Joe Johnson) and
scoring ability (Kedrick Brown, maybe Forte), assuming we can replace
Toine's rebounding and durability via trade.

Based on the exhibition game and common sense, it seems we're at least one
year (if not several years) from determining whether JJ can replace
Walker's 5.5 assists and Brown/JJ can replace 23.4 ppg in 38 minutes of
total PT.

In fact, this seems to be precisely what Chris Wallace means when he talks
about "stockpiling" talent (or whatever the phrase was). He's going to
first gather a evidence before he trades for a missing piece of the puzzle
(interior player or All Star-level pointguard). This is probably timed with
when Kenny and others come off the cap in two years.

 From ownership/management's perspective, clearly no one (above all the
highest paid players like Toine and Pierce) will be untouchable when the
time comes to go for that missing piece. If Joe Johnson and Kedrick Brown
show signs that they can make Paul Pierce nearly redundant, then Paul will
be traded for a veteran or high lotto pick rights and the kids will be
re-signed for big bucks. And if the rookies make Walker's triple doubles
seem like a big yawn, then say arrivaderci Antoine (but we'll still get
less in return, compared to the popular Pierce).

Unless he's a true cancer to the team, I would oppose trading Toine until
1) his trade value somewhat approaches his actual value to the team; and 2)
we know with some certainty (rather than wishful thinking) that Toine's
output realistically can be replaced by other kids on our roster (along
with what we can get for him in return).

Right now, neither condition has been met. A good 2001-02 season from Toine
and maybe the first condition will be met, or then again maybe not (he's
"hated" on a national level right now, thanks to a lazy sports media that
repeats and embelleshes old and distorted news).

Regarding the second condition, you can wish it all you want but Paul
Pierce is the sort of great player who will never produce triple doubles
(maybe someday Joe Johnson can). Nor can we expect Paul Pierce to add a big
share of Walker's 23 ppg to his current scoring average (maybe someday
Kedrick Brown or someone else can do that). On the boards, no one on
Boston's roster is good for much more than 6 boards, much less 9. We need
at minimum a double figure rebounder in return, if Walker is traded.

I really think Walker doubters (or Pierce doubters if there are any) might
get their wish in several years, but we have to be patient. If the rookies
are as good as advertised, Boston will have stockpiled too much playing
time worth of talent at wing forward/guard and too little at other key
positions. There will be this imbalance, and one of the four (Walker,
Pierce, Kedrick, Johnson) will have to go. The luxury tax makes this seem
even more inevitable.

The only thing that would definitely prevent this from happening is if
Boston were already contending for a championship, in which case ownership
would pay the luxury tax to keep the whole team together. But if Boston
does have to trade one of the four to make a run at #17, I'd much rather
trade from a position of strength and knowledge than from a position of
weakness.

A clear "position of strength" today would be to trade Paul Pierce, who is
one of the few stars in the league playing on a sub-500 team whose
perceived trade value may match his actual worth. Plus we have players that
have potential at the same position, which is not the case with Walker. But
I'd be very pissed off if such a trade were to happen, and thankfully I'm
nearly 100% sure it won't.

>Mr. Toine has shown remarkable durability during his career,
>but almost everyone tastes the injury bug in their NBA existence,
>so we may yet see, if my premise is right.

I don't know what to make of this, Ray. What premise!? I don't get it.

And what's with the "tasting...bugs" metaphor for that matter? I think you
may have *equated* yourself once again. ;-)

---