Re: Larry Johnson retires

> > ** Original Subject: FW: Larry Johnson retires
> > ** Original Sender: "Berry, Mark  S" <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>
> > ** Original Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:46:01 -0700
>
> > ** Original Message follows...
>
> >Larry Johnson has accepted a buyout from the Knicks and is retiring. Reports
> > say the Knicks are expected to be granted an injury exception of $4.5
> > million.
> >
> > Do you see what's about to happen here? One of two things... either the
> > Knicks will use that injury exception to sign Anthony Mason and become
> > Eastern Conference contenders, or the Bucks will fear the Knicks doing just
> > that and pony up the money for Mason themselves. My money is on the first
> > scenario. Makes me sick.
> >
> > Mark

Always with the negativity, Mr. Berry.  It's not like the Celtics
have missed the playoffs for 10 years, it's only been 7.
There's no need for the Celtics to be like the Knicks and
creatively use their exceptions. No, the Celtics did the right thing
by splitting theirs up to re-sign backup personnel. A team whose
core group of talent isn't good enough to propel them in the
playoffs should concentrate on re-signing bench players,
rather than adding someone who could have an impact.
Ray