Pierce and Johnson

At 08:26 10/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Joe, I also saw those quotes and felt a little uneasy. Let's face it, the
>knock on Joe Johnson was that he tended to coast and not play especially
>hard. So it's a little disturbing when we see, before the first preseason
>games, quotes from our best player saying Johnson has to play harder.

It could be (that is to say, I prefer to believe) that Paul Pierce is just
giving advice based on his own experience as a rookie. He developed a soft
reputation on both ends of the floor during his rookie year after the ankle
twist, and none of us doubt that Pierce is as tough a competitor as you'll
find.  If Paul Pierce struggled with his killer instinct and focus as a
rookie, then surely its worthwhile in his role as captain to convey this
sort of advice to Joe Johnson, the most likely rookie contributor from the
get go. There's no indication his overall positive comments about Joe
Johnson's talent and court sense aren't genuine.

Yes, Pierce was a significantly more consistent scorer and better rebounder
than Joe Johnson when they both left school at the same age. Pierce was
first team All NCAA after all.

On the other hand, JJ had as good an all-around freshman impact as any
player in the country before his ankle surgery. Compared to Pierce in
college, Joe Johnson was not only a better assist man but also a better
3-point and FT shooter in college. No one knew how good Pierce would be as
a perimeter shooter, dribbler or passer coming into his rookie year.
Johnson shot something like 45% from downtown last year and played point
forward in college. He's taller too.

There doesn't seem to be any question Joe Johnson can play if he stays
healthy. Pierce is just doing his job as captain and franchise player in
helping these rookies get ready to contribute as quickly as possible.

If Eric Williams starts all 82 games this year, I don't care how great his
defense is that's not a very positive sign. You've got to have rebounding
and ball movement through the small forward position, or else exceptional
marksmanship, and he does none of these things. If Kedrick Brown can
eventually catch up EW on the defensive end, then there is no reason EW
should even be part of the 8-man rotation anymore.

----