Pierce A Model For Celts' Rookie

http://www.ctnow.com/scripts/editorial.dll?fromspage=CG/articles/sports.htm&categoryid=&bfromind=558&eeid=5409835&eetype=article&render=y&ck=&ver=3.0
Pierce A Model For Celts' Rookie
By TOM YANTZ
The Hartford Courant
October 09, 2001

MASHANTUCKET - Celtics coach Jim O'Brien didn't need to think long
before finding a comparable player to Joe Johnson, the team's first
pick in the draft.

All O'Brien had to do Monday was look on the Mashantucket Pequot
Tribal Nation Community Center court.

"I would compare him to what I thought Paul [Pierce] was as a rookie,"
O'Brien said.

To be linked with Pierce is compliment enough for Johnson. "Oh yeah,
some day I'd like to play like him," Johnson said.

If Johnson, a 6-foot-8 swingman from Arkansas, can match or even
approach what Pierce did his rookie season, the Celtics would be
delighted. Pierce, a 6-6 swingman, averaged 16.5 points and 6.4
rebounds in 1998-99.

O'Brien has enjoyed what he has seen of Johnson in camp. After the
first of two closed practices Monday, Johnson was taking jump shots
under the tutelage of assistant coach Lester Conner.

"Joe looks comfortable out there," O'Brien said. "And he's learning."

Johnson, like Pierce, was the 10th overall pick in the first round
after his junior season. Johnson, who weighs 225, led Arkansas in
scoring (14.2), rebounding (6.4) and three-point shooting (44.3
percent).

"The biggest thing I'm learning is how to fight through screens," he
said. "You've got to stay with your guy. Listen, everybody can shoot
and score up here."

Johnson has played most of the preseason at small forward and should
see considerable playing time in the Celtics preseason opener
Wednesday against Charlotte at the Fleet Center.

O'Brien said he expects to start Kenny Anderson and Pierce - the NBA's
eighth-leading scorer last season (25.3) - in the backcourt, Eric
Williams and Antoine Walker at forward and either Tony Battie, Vitaly
Potapenko or Mark Blount at center.

"I think Joe is going to be immediately a key guy in our rotations,"
O'Brien said. "That's because he's such a good ballplayer. I'm
confident because he plays, in many aspects, like a veteran."

Meaning he doesn't force shots or turn the ball over. "Even with some
of the vets forcing the issue, making passes that aren't really there,
Joe isn't doing those things," O'Brien said.

In addition, Johnson is waiting for the screen to be set, then looks
aggressively for his jumper or drive.

Johnson is one of three prized rookies in camp. The others are
Okaloosa-Walton Community College forward Kedrick Brown (11th overall
pick) and North Carolina guard Joseph Forte (21st overall).

"There are no sorry players here," Forte said. "I'm 6-4, but Joe
[Johnson] is a bigger version of me."

Johnson can handle the ball and shoot the three.

"I'm still need work on the inside, rebounding and hanging in there,"
he said. "And I need to be better on D, more consistent and not
letting up."

Minutes after practice ended, Johnson still was shooting jumpers with
Conner. "He spotted that I was leaning off to the side when I released
the shot," Johnson said. "He came right over to me, and in five
minutes, I was going up straight and having my shoulders square. Have
to keep working, have to keep getting better."