TSN Nets report

The Celtics play the 1st place Nets (10-5) at 1pm Saturday. No scouting
report for fear of a jinx (I stopped after our fourth straight loss).

This is the front end of a B2B. Boston moves on to Toronto on Sunday.

Nets Team Report November 24, 2001
By Don Burke/The Newark Star-Ledger
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/teams/nets/

POSITIONAL ANALYSIS

Point guard: Kidd suffered through a miserable shooting week, at one point
missing 21-of-23 shots from the field in a two-game span. The Nets lost
both. But then he scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and overtime to
help beat Utah and held off the Clippers with six consecutive free throws
in the final 27.1 seconds of a tight game. He just wins. Grade: A.

Shooting guard: Kerry Kittles continues to struggle with his shot. In the
first three games of the Nets' Western swing -- before he got hurt against
the Clippers -- Kittles had made just five of his 14 shots and scored a
total of 12 points. Fortunately, Lucious Harris has been there to pick up
the slack. Harris, who had 19 points that night, had made 23-of-39 shots
from the field (59 percent) and averaged 11 points in the team's last five
games. Grade: B.

Small forward: Kenyon Martin has decided to play from the outside in,
letting his jump shot wait until he can get something going inside. He had
been shooting well over 50 percent from the field using that approach
during a five-game span that ended when he went six-for-18 against the
Clippers. He had 12 of his season-high 28 points in an overtime loss to
Denver in a dominating fourth quarter. His defense and shot blocking have
been superb. Grade: B.

Power forward: Returning to his roots agreed with Keith Van Horn. He hit a
jumper from the top of he key with 2.3 seconds left in overtime to beat the
Jazz in the city where he starred as a collegian at the University of Utah.
The next night, playing about an hour away from where he grew up in
southern California, he put together a season-high 34 points and 12
rebounds to beat the Clippers. Grade: A.

Center: Todd MacCulloch has been up and down, but is still averaging 9.8
points and 8.8 rebounds per game. He shot 53.8 percent from the field
through the first dozen games despite a 1-for-6 clunker against the
Clippers. Rookie Jason Collins has seen increased time. Grade: C+.

"Defense is our staple," Byron Scott said. "I keep saying that and it will
be like a broken record by the time the season's over. We do a much better
job on the defensive end when the game was on the line. When we feel we are
in jeopardy of losing a game, we buckle down."