RE: A Win?

True enough, Cecil, but that's only a small part of it. The Nets are fun to
watch. They love playing with Jason Kidd. Love it. They run and know they'll
get the ball. They come off screens hard, knowing the ball will hit them in
the chest and lead to a good shot. Kidd is unbelievable. He can't shoot at
all-well under 40 percent for the season-but he's always the best player on
the floor. He dominates games. Do you think the rest of the Celtics really
enjoy playing with Pierce or Walker? They may like them as friends, but do
they really enjoy playing with them? I doubt it.

As for MacCullough... I shouldn't get started, but here goes... Part of
having a decent center is actually giving the guy the ball and doing so
where he can do something with it. Kidd does that with MacCullough.
Perimeter players around the league have either never learned or forgotten
how to play with decent big men. I hate to use the 1980s Celtics as an
example, but look at the way they used Parish. On a team with Bird and
McHale, it was Parish who almost always was given the first opportunity
offensively in the game. They wanted to establish his presence early and
play off of that the rest of the game. Plus, it got Parish involved quickly
and kept him involved. Teams just don't do that anymore. Players and coaches
just seem to have lost the understanding for how to utilize big men (not
Shaq or Duncan types, but MacCullough, Ratliff, Mohammed, Campbell types).

Now, the Celtics don't have anyone even in this second (or third) tier of
big men, but they still make no effort to get them involved early. None.
It's Pierce or Walker from beginning to end. Then they complain when they
don't have a third option. Who has a chance? Jersey is getting the max out
of MacCullough. He's not great, but they're using him as well as he can be
used and getting as much out of him as is possible. Do you feel the Celtics
get the most out of any of their players? Outside of Pierce and Walker, is
there even an argument about maximizing any of the players on the roster?
Palacio is probably as close as they come. But that's not too encouraging
when at least nine guys on your roster aren't being utilized to the best of
their abilities.

Mark