Re: Great win

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kestutis Kveraga" <Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu>

> --- You wrote:
> They had the ball when Kenny fouled.... The way this list continually
complains
> about our "pathetic" defense I think Kenny was justified in giving the
foul and
> giving us the opportunity to win the game on the final shot after a
timeout.

> Had he not fouled and they had have scored the basket that Paul scored you
> would
> all be yelling about how no body fouled.
> --- end of quote ---
>
> I still don't get your point. If you're up with a few seconds to go, you
don't
> foul, because it's equivalent to allowing the opponent to score at a much
> higher % AND you're also stopping the clock. The only time you would foul
in a
> situation like this would be if the opponent's probability of scoring from
the
> field exceeded that of scoring from the line (e.g., Shaq winding up for a
dunk
> with Kenny guarding him). I thought that was obvious even to Blount and
Waltuh.
> Moreover, it's not the case that Miami was about to score when Kenny
brought
> the House down - we had just gotten the rebound.

Yep.

To paraphrase President Red's philosophy on this: "you never put a guy on
the line to beat you". Simple alternative when you are up by 1 and the clock
is running down: play defense.

Simon Kean
Shallow End Swimming (Post-Rock) - http://mp3.com/shallowendswimming
Ulcerate (Alternative/Industrial) - http://mp3.com/ulcerate